Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I will be printing on fabric and need to know if the ink is dye-based or pigmented.  I've been told to use pigmented ink.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The color #95 cartridge is dye based, the black #98 is pigmented.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

The black ink in most HP printers is pigmented.  Most of the color inks are dye based.  The Photosmart B9180 and Officejet 8500 series use pigmented inks for color and black as do some of the large format Designjet products.  Do you have a current printer that you would like to verify?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Can you tell me whether pigment or dye:

HP ink cartridge 95

HP ink cartridge 98

Thank you!

HP Recommended

The color #95 cartridge is dye based, the black #98 is pigmented.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!

HP Recommended

Can you tell me what the 56, 57 and 58 cartridges are - pigment or dye?

HP Recommended

@lami33 wrote:

Can you tell me what the 56, 57 and 58 cartridges are - pigment or dye?

The black 56 cartridge is pigment based ink, the color and photo 57 and 58 are dye inks.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Are the HP 364 cartridges dye based or pigment. I need to know for fabric printing. Thanks for any help.
HP Recommended

@clanawley wrote:
Are the HP 364 cartridges dye based or pigment. I need to know for fabric printing. Thanks for any help.

The black cartridge is pigment based, the color and photo inks are dye based.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.