Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

8130 OfficeJet. I also want the printer to stay awake longer. So based on this reply do I have to start all over and set it up all over again?  And how do I tell it to”die” in order to do that???

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TexasJNJ, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What is the exact model of the HP printer you are using?

Refer to this document to know how to find the Product Name or Number.

How is the printer connected to the PC?

Sleep mode automatically puts the printer into a lower-power state after a set period of time of non-use. The printer returns to its normal power state when you send another print or scan job.

For more info, refer to this document.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-one.  It goes into sleep mode very quickly.  Some time ago, I received notice that this printer no longer works with Chromebooks.  I can still print from my iphone or ipad, but I just go the room where the printer is, and turn it on first.  And do this every time, if more than 2 or 3 minutes elapses between printing.  Since this is a home printer, it is not used frequently.  Obviously, it is connected by wireless.  So, can I make the time before sleep mode longer?  And can I disable printer-off mode?

HP Recommended

@TexasJNJ

The printer is designed in such a way that it enters sleep mode if it is inactive for more than 15 minutes to enter power-saving mode. You do not have an option to disable this feature.

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Power handling > Sleep mode > Set it to 15 min

Go back to the previous menu, Select Power button > Turns OFF the printer

Also, try assigning a static IP address to the printer that may help(Windows PC)

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  5. Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  6. Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  7. Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.