Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet pro 9010/9020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am having an issue getting the WIFI direct feature to work on my laptop.  i already have the driver installed along with the hp easy start utility and i can print through this connection fine via USB. I have also checked the print server properties and i can see the driver is present and installed.  I tried to set up the wifi direct link via printers and scanners...it asks me for a pin which displayed on the printer display panel, typed it in and the printer display said 'Mobile connection successful'.  It then tries to complete the install on my machine of the printer object and everytime it completes it says 'Driver is Unavailable'.  I have tried this with both an 9010 printer and a 9020 printer with the same results.

Anyone else run into this??

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sliver16

Welcome to the HP Support Community

Connect and print from a computer with Windows 10 or 8.1 using Wi-Fi Direct. Complete the following steps while near the printer.

1. Confirm the printer is turned on, cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

2. Open the Printers list in the Devices settings.

• Windows 10: From the Start menu, click Settings, click Devices, and then click Printers & scanners.

• Windows 8.1: From the Charms menu, click Devices.

3. Click Add a printer or scanner.

4. Click Show Wi-Fi Direct printers if the option displays.

5. Locate the printer with DIRECT in the name (Example: DIRECT-72-HP Officejet Pro 6970), but do not click Add device yet.

6. Go to the printer and confirm it is on and in a ready state. If it entered sleep mode, press the Power button to wake it.

7. Return to the computer and click Add device.

8. If a Enter the WPS PIN for your printer message displays, quickly return to the printer. An 8-digit PIN displays on the control panel or a printout. Enter this PIN within 90 seconds, and then click Next to complete the setup.

NOTE: 

If a Driver is unavailable status displays during the setup, go to 123.hp.com to install a driver.

Enter WPS PIN window when adding a Wi-Fi Direct printer in Windows 10

9. Open the item you want to print, click File, and then click Print.

10. Select your printer from the list of available printers, and then click Print.

Try to print.

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04577030 for Printing with Wi-Fi Direct.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi I followed your procedure but the status on the printer is still showing Driver is unavailable despite I downloaded and installed the driver. When I went select the printer in Setting and Manage to view the Hardware Properties it seems the Drivers files used/referred to are residing in Windows/System32 directory. When I checked another laptop the setting is different.

HP Recommended

@DaniellaLim, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you using a HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 or 9020?

To download the drivers, click here and input your printer name.

Which device are you trying to connect the printer to?

To know how to connect the printer using WiFi Direct, refer to this document. (This is recommended only in absence of a wireless router)

Note: You will not be able to access the internet on the device to which you have connected the printer via WiFi Direct.

If you want to connect the printer wirelessly to a network, follow these steps: 

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Wireless Settings > Wireless setup wizard > choose your network, input the password.

The blue wireless light on the printer will be steady once connected.

Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.