Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3634
My black ink ran out and so I replaced it and it still said that it was out of ink and would not print. I thought it could be a faulty cartridge so I replaced again with the same out come. I'm using the correct ink '302' and the same cartridges I have always used.
Only difference is when I compared the new ones with the original old cartridge which ran out, the strip which the ink comes out of is considerably smaller on the new cartridges and wasn't sure if this has affected it?

I've ran al trouble shooting and support things etc and nothing seems to be working!
Any help would be amazing! Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, looks like your printer needs service.  If under warranty call HP

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Please try the HP trouble shooting documents here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-DeskJet-3630-All-in-One-Printer-series/7172306/model/8296174

Let us know.

HP Recommended
I have done- it doesn't seem to be connected to any of those.

It's something to do with it not recognising the ink catrigide.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended
The ones to do with the printer itself yes I have.

There isn't any point doing the steps about putting the cartridges in water etc because it isn't the cartridges. As stated above I have brought more than one, so it's to do with the printer.

HP Recommended

OK, looks like your printer needs service.  If under warranty call HP

HP Recommended
Okay thank you for your help!
HP Recommended

I had the same problem ...and was upset as I could not get to talk to any support agent  because out of warranty (bought it  at staples April2016)!!

my printer was not printing black at all

I tried all the steps  described in the trouble shouting section : new hp cartridge , alignment, cleaning head..... resetting the printer, using the USB wire just in case....

I tested without the computer, that is ...using only the copy function of the printer....the same! color was printing and not black ink.

I was about to throw it but was upset as I used cartridge brand new from the package....but I had bought them 2 months ago, before Summer.

I cleaned  the  black cartridge with a q tip and isopropyl alcohol (the part were the ink comes out at the bottom not the part with the little dots...There is a video on Youtube showing it)

I let it dry and tried and run 3 times the copier function...I could tell the black was starting to print in thin lines...

BINGO!!!! IT WORKED!

I guess the ink had kind of dry over the summer even though it was still packed in the wrapping and box (like in a store!)

also I used the HP 63XL maybe HP 63 regular are better?

good luck I hope it works for you to!.

(I am a custommer not an hp person)

HP Recommended
Thank you so much!!

I haven't attempted anything since as of yet. But I'll definitely give it a go. If it doesn't work it's been quite a while so I'll attempt to buy yet another cartridge and hope this one actually works!!

HP Recommended

I purchased an HP Deskjet 3634 printer last Novemeber.  Being that I do not print all that much, I finally ran out of ink from the original cartridge that was packed with the printer.  I took the empty black cartridge out and re-filled it from a bottle of black ink that I had.  After re-inserting the cartridge, the printer would not make a decent print or it would spit out a blank page.  I got messages indicating that a re-filled cartridge was being used.

You mean to tell me that I can't re-fill an empty HP ink cartridge (the very cartridge that came with the printer) and I have to spend more than I should because now I am forced to purchase a new HP ink cartridge?  Re-filling costs way less than making a brand new purchase.  I see that new HP #63 black ink cartridges cost $20 at Staples but a new bottle of ink costs $4.  If I would have known, at the time that I purchased the printer, that I was going to be forced to buy new cartridges when the time came, I would not have purchased the printer.  It seems HP, greedingly, steers you to buy their ink cartridges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.