Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP

J 6480 Carriage jam message and ink cartridges won't come in or out blocked by the plastic behind them tried everything. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BillRog

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BillRog

Welcome to HP support community.

Check for obstructions in the carriage path

1. With the printer on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. If your printer has a battery, remove the battery.

3. Open the door to access the carriage inside of the printer.

Examples of carriage access doors

Opening an access door on top of the printerOpening an access door on the front of the printer

4. Look in the carriage path for debris such as crumpled paper or dislodged labels, and then remove any that you find.

Example of a printer with debris in the carriage path

View inside a printer showing crumpled paper in the carriage path causing a carriage jam

5. If the carriage on your printer has a latch, make sure it is closed.

CAUTION: 

Ink tank printers: If the latch is closed, do not press down on it.

If the printhead latch is closed, do not press down on it

6. Use your hand to move the carriage to each side, making sure it moves freely. If the carriage is stalled or docked to one side of the printer and you cannot move it, continue with these steps.

7. Close the carriage access door.

8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then turn the printer on.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

did everything suggested then took printer apart and found  a piece had come off on the end of the cartridge stuck it back on fired up the machine was able to install ink cartridges and cartridge moves freely runs back and forth which it wasn't doing  still get the same message cartridge jam open dr. and remove paper . What the heck I think it's brain has had a stroke 🐵

TY for your previous responce.

Cheers, Bill

HP Recommended

@BillRog

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.