Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Linux

Hello,

My printer worked fine for the last few years, but since a few days all I get is a screen saying: 'Printing Error: Please turn your printer off and on again' (I'm translating, the printer says it in german). When I do this, I get a screen saying: 'Error when shutting down: To avoid damage please turn your printer off using the on-off button, not by pulling the cable'. I press OK, then I get the regular home screen for a short time with an error mark on the remote tab on the lower left and then after about 3 seconds a blue screen with written B8B2638E that stays for a very short time (less than half a second) and I get back to my starting point.

Turning it on and off fixed the issue temporarily yesterday, but the problem reappeared today.

As far as I know we never turned off the printer by pulling the cable (however, it might have happened, for example at a power outrage, but that wouldn't have been the first time).

Does anyone know what this error means and how to fix it?

EDIT: Ok, I hacked my way around: While I was on the home screen, I opened the printer. This created another error that did override the previous one, so when I closed the printer, I could use it more or less regularly (provided I didn't click on the lower left button). I used it to restore the printer to its initial state (Werkeinstellungen in german) and now he doesn't complain anymore.

Further EDIT: It seems like a USB stick was the culprit: each time I plugged him in, I got back to the error. This is pretty strange, because I have no issue with this stick on my PC but at least there's an easy workaround.

I'm using it with a few linux PCs (Arch Linux, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and OpenSuse) and a Windows 10, remotely.

Regards,

Dorian

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.