Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to print it takes the printer a minimum of 15 minutes before it will print the job. The printer is connected to the network, I have no idea why it's doing this.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BrandonN004

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to fix your concern or address your query 😉 

As I understand there's a delay before printing anything of your preference, (I agree, that could be, rather annoying & it's time we fix it)

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

• Did you attempt to perform a hard reset to fix the issue?
  • Have you checked the print driver settings?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Reset the printer

Resetting the printer can resolve some types of slow printing issues.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Check the print driver settings

Check the print driver settings. Selecting certain paper types or printing in Best quality can slow print speeds. Print with plain paper in Normal or Draft quality for faster print speeds.

1. Search Windows for printers, and then click Devices and printers in the list of results.

2. Double-click the icon for your printer.

3. Double-click Set Preferences.

4. Find the paper type information.

5. In the Paper type area, make sure Plain Paper is selected.

6. In the Quality Settings area, make sure Draft or Normal are selected.

7. Click OK or Apply to confirm the changes, close the HP printer driver window, and then close the Devices and Printers window.

Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Uninstall the print driver

Remove the print driver and software using the Uninstall a program tool in Windows Programs and Features. Uninstalling the print driver allows you to install the latest driver version.

1. If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

2. Search Windows for programs and features, and then click Programs and Features in the list of results.

3. In the list of installed programs, click your HP printer name, and then click Uninstall or Yes.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal.

5. Restart the computer.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2zPl0Rj - Step 4 Onward.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Do get back to us as we have a few more tricks up our sleeves, 

Besides, we will follow up to ensure your concern is resolved,

That said, If we have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
for anyone searching this out in the distant future, this issue seems to be caused by incompatibility between the full function drivers and windows, if you can find HP's universal print drivers, upgrade to them as they do not have the offending code
HP Recommended

Worked great with windows 7. Now with windows 10 i tried everything. Uninstalled and removed everything. Then I put all new on program and drivers. Takes 15 to 20 seconds to start printing. We pay a lot of money to HP and I feel they should come up with a solution. Window 10 been out a long time and HP has no solution? Very sad

HP Recommended

Yes I did all of them things which I should never of had to do. HP should of had software to fix this.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Turn off Quiet Mode (Windows)

Quiet Mode reduces noise levels when printing, but can also reduce print speed.

Quiet Mode is not available for all printers.

• HP Smart app: Open the HP Smart app, click your printer, click Advanced Settings. On the Settings tab, click Quiet Mode under Preferences, select Off, and then click Apply.

NOTE: 

If prompted for a password or PIN, enter the password previously set by the printer administrator or PIN from the label on your printer. You can find the label on the back of the printer or open the cartridge access door and look inside the printer.

• HP Printer Assistant: Search Windows for your printer, and then select your printer in the results to open HP Printer Assistant. On the Quiet Mode tab, select Off, and then click Save Setting.

Reduce print quality to improve print speed (Windows)

Selecting certain paper types or printing in higher quality can slow print speeds. Print with plain paper in reduced quality for faster print speeds.

1. Search Windows for printers, and then click Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Click your printer, and then click Manage > Printing preferences.

3. Click the Paper or Paper/Quality tab, and then make sure Plain Paper is selected in the Type or Paper type field.

4. Adjust the print quality.

• HP inkjet and LaserJet printers: In the Print Quality field, make sure Draft or Normal is selected.

• HP Laser printers: Click the Graphics tab, and then click Standard in the Quality field.

5. Click OK or Apply to confirm the changes.

Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases new firmware versions with printer enhancements or issue fixes. Update firmware on a regular basis to make sure you are getting the most out of your printer.

• Update from the printer control panel: Many HP printers with touchscreens or menus can connect directly to HP to find and install updates. Make sure the printer is on a network with an active Internet connection. If the printer is connected with a USB cable, use one of the other options.

On the printer, locate the Product Update or Check for Updates menu by pressing the HP ePrint icon or button 

JessikaV_2-1674223106501.png or JessikaV_3-1674223137606.png. Or open the Setup, Service, or Settings menu, select Preferences, Printer Maintenance, or Tools, and then select Web Services, Printer Update, or LaserJet Update.
    • Download updates from HP Customer Support: With the printer turned on and connected to the computer or a network, go to HP Software and Driver Downloads to check for and install available updates listed under Firmware.

• Install updates through the HP Smart app: Open the HP Smart app, and then create an account or sign in. If you do not have HP Smart, download it from 123.hp.com or your app store. After adding the printer, click the printer image, click Printer Home Page (EWS) or Advanced Settings, click Tools or Web Services, and then click Printer Updates.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.