Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have lost the black setup cartridge and cannot reset printer with new cartridges.  Would someone please help me reset the printer so that it will take the new cartridges.  Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@sjaccl,

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that you are having issues with your HP Photosmart 6520 printer. Do not worry, I’m here to help 

First off, the SETUP ink cartridges are used only to set up a new HP printer for the first series of your print jobs. They are specially designed to initialize a printer and calibrate ink levels.

Installing normal ink cartridges during the initial printer setup causes a printer error prompting you to install SETUP ink cartridges. The printer cannot be set up without associated SETUP ink cartridges installed.

Hence, if this is a first-time printer setup and if you have received the setup cartridges with the printer, please use them to setup the printer.

You can keep the regular cartridges in an air-tight container and can use once the printer is setup using the setup cartridges.

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to remove the Ink cartridges from the printer and then try to do a hard reset on the printer. Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to update the printer firmware, for more details on how to update the printer firmware, please go through this link: 

HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Ink Cartridges - 'Use SETUP Cartridges' Error

just in your case, if you want to bypass the setup cartridges and want to use the regular ink cartridges, I believe we can bypass the setup by performing a reset.

I am going to send you a private message with the instructions on how to perform an advanced reset. Now these steps are specific to your printer only. 

Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also need instructions for doing a hard reset and bypassing "Use Setup Cartriges" error.  please post the instructions publicly so that people in the future have free access to the information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.