Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Photosmart 5520 that has been in storage for a few years and now my son wants to take it to University.

Before I put the printer in storage, I removed the ink cartridges and can no longer find them (I have e a feeling they were basically empty so I probably threw them away!).

I have bought and installed a full new set of genuine HP cartridges but the printer is insisting that I need the 'setup cartridges'.

The only options I have on the touch screen are 'Retail Demo' and 'Setup' and neither seem to get me anywhere.

Are the cartridges I've bought not 'setup cartridges'?

Is there some way to bypass the requirement for 'setup cartridges'.

Any advice would be great as my son is due to go back to University soon and wanted to take the printer with him.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you ever set up and used the printer, using its original setup cartridges in the box, or was the printer never initialized?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the response. The printer was brand new when I bought it and I used it for a couple of years on and off. I can’t exactly recall what I had to do when I first set it up but I guess I must have used ‘setup cartridges’. Is it possible to buy a new set of ‘setup cartridges’? I haven’t found any online.

HP Recommended

Is anybody able to help?

I found a similar post where an HP employee emailed instructions to the person. Hopefully the same applies here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.