Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4658
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just over a year and product is just outside the warranty period and I am getting this MFG Mode error after a minor power cut/fluctuation in our area.

I had searched the knowledge base and did the steps mentioned in the article about reset:

1. Remove from the power socket and from the back of the printer

2. Left like that for a day

3. Then connected the printer socket to the back and to the main power socket 

4. Still getting MFG Mode error

Cannot do anything with the printer and it does not respond to any touch on the LCD screen either to go to the setup. And I am currently on the HP eInk subscription.

Any help from the community who had faced similar issues and rectified would be great, please.

Thanks

Shas

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Shaaskul, Thank you for joining the HP Forums!

I understand your printer is stuck in MFG mode. And you have issues accessing the printer control panel.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link. Click Here

Please try few steps recommended below.

Resetting the printer and the computer can help resolve error conditions.

Remove the ink cartridges and try performing a hard reset on your printer.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

note:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Try performing a semi-full reset on your printer.

As the steps to perform a semi-full reset is confidential and dedicated to your printer. I will share you the steps through a private message.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response @MrRobot,

I will try this today evening but one thing is that I did try the first resetting thing and the carriage did not move (For me to take the cartridge and put it back again) even when I lift the printer top part to see the cartridge holder and always came up with MFG Mode (Thou' is connected to the WiFi) as I could see the printer is connected through my laptop.

Regarding the semi-full reset - When the printer says MFG Mode the LCD panel does not show any display changes when pressing the buttons - Would the semi-full reset still work if I follow the instructions?

Thanks

Shas

HP Recommended

@Shaaskul, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Sure, you can try the steps at your leisure and write back to us if you have any queries.

First, try updating the printer firmware as suggested then try performing a semi-full reset and check if it helps.

The buttons are located outside the printer control panel, so you should be able to access the setup menu after trying the steps suggested.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1. Tried the following - Downloaded the firmware and when I tried to install it, it said that my firmware is up to date and things are disabled because it's up to date - So I could not proceed with any installation.

2. When trying the semi-reset - When I switch on the printer it is stuck in MFG Mode and the buttons mentioned in the private message does not do anything and LCD screen stays as it is saying MFG Mode (Hope I am not missing anything here?).

3. When pressing the power button again it showed the error code "0XB85BE1D8" but essentially the printer is not responded to any buttons - however it is connected to WiFi as while trying to install firmware it did detect my printer.

Hope the error code means something to get to the bottom of this.

HP Recommended

@Shaaskul, thanks for your prompt response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you have issues performing a semi-full reset on your printer.

It certainly looks to be a hardware issue with your printer.

I will share you few details through a private message about the service options dedicated to your printer.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Have a blessed day ahead!

Take care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.