Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a brand new HP 309a wireless printer.  I am using it with a USB PORT.   I downloaded something from a PDF file and the printer will not stop printing.  I rebooted the computer, I disconnected the printer for an hour and when I turned it on it resumed   I hit the cancel button, the display reads "print cancelled" and then it reads "now printing."  When I attempt to use the printer to print something else it reads "busy."  HELP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Disconnect the  USB cable and follow the below steps  to restart  the spooler service.

Click Start (Windows logo) >> All Programs >> Accessories >>

Right click on  Command Prompt and open it as Administrator ( choose run as administrator)

Enter the below command in black window and hit enter key..

net stop spooler

That will stop the spooler service.

Then enter the below command and hit enter key to start the spooler service

net start spooler

That will delete the current print comment and the  things in print queue.

Press the widnows key and R key on the key board to open run window ( Click on Start >> Run).

In run window  enter services.msc and click Ok.

That will open services window.

From there double click on the print spooler service.That will open a new window.

Click on Stop button to stop and then click on start button to restart the spooler service.

Make sure that startup type is : Automatic and Service status is : Started

Click on Apply and Ok to close the services window.
If the issue resolved,

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Saul
Tech Support Eng.
HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Disconnect the  USB cable and follow the below steps  to restart  the spooler service.

Click Start (Windows logo) >> All Programs >> Accessories >>

Right click on  Command Prompt and open it as Administrator ( choose run as administrator)

Enter the below command in black window and hit enter key..

net stop spooler

That will stop the spooler service.

Then enter the below command and hit enter key to start the spooler service

net start spooler

That will delete the current print comment and the  things in print queue.

Press the widnows key and R key on the key board to open run window ( Click on Start >> Run).

In run window  enter services.msc and click Ok.

That will open services window.

From there double click on the print spooler service.That will open a new window.

Click on Stop button to stop and then click on start button to restart the spooler service.

Make sure that startup type is : Automatic and Service status is : Started

Click on Apply and Ok to close the services window.
If the issue resolved,

Saul
Tech Support Eng.
HP

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, it just spits out paper - I disconnected the power cable and reconnected it - that worked for me.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much - I did as you outlined and it worked.  I also printed your instructions should this problem occur again.  Thanks again and have a nice day. 

HP Recommended

Hi

Great to know that..  🙂  You are most welcome. 

You can also catch me on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/Surjith.K

If the issue resolved,

Saul
Tech Support Eng.
HP

HP Recommended

hey it says system error 5 has occurred

HP Recommended

Though I have a different, older printer, this solution helped me too. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I did just as you wrote and eerything works fine.HOWEVER, ISN'T THERE AN EASIER WAY?  Like just unpluggin the power cord?

In any case, Thank you.

HP Recommended

I pulled the plug. It did not work

HP Recommended

The spooler method worked

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.