Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 11 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mac OS El Capitan + HP Device Monitor (latest version)

I'm glad I scolled to the end of this thread. The original solution posted was so complex and intrusive I was ready to unplug and return my new HP Officejet 6958 rather than delete all print and scan devices on our network from my Mac. It is hard to believe that a preventative solution to this problem has been incorporate in stand installation materials. Oh Well, after 20+ years of preferring HP printers I may need to look at alternatives when I need a new one.

REGARDLESS, many KUDOS to the wizard who posted this simple solution using the terminal. I have deleted the running process using Activity Monitor a dozen time and it kept coming back. With this approach I don't expect to see it again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 12 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For some reason device monitor kept tripping my antivirus software.  I don't know what device monitor does, but it seems not to be anything important, I think I've removed it and my HP printer still works.  Here is what I did in iOS:

Opened terminal, typed:

cd /Library/Printers/hp/Frameworks

sudo rm -R HPDeviceMonitoring.framework

Then i was prompted for and input my password.  

I think it s gone.. I hope..

I found this location by entering (again in terminal):

launchctl list com.hp.devicemonitor

So if it turns out that your version stores this in some other location you can probably use this command to find it.  DeviceMonitor must serve some purpose, but as best I can tell nothing bad has happened as a result of removing it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 13 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Arrgh...it didn't work.  I went in and removed the whole hp directory..possibly that will do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 14 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That also didn't work.. device monitor woke up after a while.. I was wondering why the fan started up......but I do have a solution:  

Remove the HP software entirely.  

Unplug your HP printer.  

Carrying the printer walk to the trash can.  

Place the printer in the trash can.  

I think I can live with this solution!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 15 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My genius son had a better solution. Unplug and disconnect the HP Printer from power and network. Delete the HP Software on my Mac, delete the Device Monitor using the Terminal. Reboot the Mac. Reconnect the HP printer and reject all of it's attemps to fetch HP software from the internet. Use the Mac generic printer drivers and both print and scan (use Image Capture) will work.

0 Kudos
2 1 0 0
Message 16 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jpeter wrote:

My genius son had a better solution. Unplug and disconnect the HP Printer from power and network. Delete the HP Software on my Mac, delete the Device Monitor using the Terminal. Reboot the Mac. Reconnect the HP printer and reject all of it's attemps to fetch HP software from the internet. Use the Mac generic printer drivers and both print and scan (use Image Capture) will work.

But how will HP try to sell you their overpriced inks now ? 😉

Thanks for the launchctl solution above. I seem to have to fix this problem about once a year and I guess it is because I drop my guard and allow HP to push some crap onto my machine again.

Combine this with the other El Capitan problem of having to wait several minutes between each print job and you wonder who is running this company.

After years of HP ownership I won't be buying again as they seem utterly clueless as far as Macs are concerned.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation