Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Microsoft Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 is causing the printer spooler service to stop and the installed printer is no longer recognized.  It is an HP Officejet Pro 8210 printer though there are reports  that it is affecting other HP printers too.  It was suggested in the Microsoft Community forum that I post the issue here to gain the attention of HP personnel so they are aware of the matter. 

When I go into services.msc I can start the spooler and my printer then reappears but as soon as I try to print the spooler service stops.  If I uninstall update KB4517211, my printer again works.  

Considerations:

• Ran troubleshooter (printerdiagostic10) while update was installed and no issues were found. 
  • Tried to stop the update from downloading using Microsoft utility (wushowhide).  It said the update was being hidden yet it still installed.
  • Posted issue in Microsoft COMMUNITY. 
  • Chatted with a representative at Microsoft ADVISORS who referred to me Microsoft ADVOCATE.
  • ADVOCATE performed an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10.  This did not solve the printer spooler issue so I first did a system restore (successful) and then uninstalled KB4517211 (successful).  Printer again is working. 

Obviously, this is an issue with update KB4517211 but, as mentioned above, HP personnel should be made aware of the problem and hopefully, in conjunction with Microsoft, a fix can be developed and made available.      

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To let you know, Microsoft has released further Windows Update to resolve this issue earlier today, installing the latest Windows Updates should resolve the problem.

Spoiler

Applications and printer drivers that leverage the Windows Javascript engine (jscript.dll) for processing print jobs might experience one or more of the following symptoms:

• Applications interacting with the V4 printer driver might close or error when printing. Issues might only be encountered when printing but might also be encountered at any time the app is running, depending on when the app interacts with the print driver.
  • The printer spooler service (spoolsv.exe) might close or error in jscript.dll with exception code 0xc0000005 causing the print jobs to stop processing. Only part of the print job might print and the rest might be canceled or error.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

As reported in Microsoft Community on October 01, 2019 by GBorn:

Just for affected users an information. My escalation here (probably) resulted in a confirmation from Microsoft - see Windows 10 status page - the issue affects probably only a couple of users - but it's spread to users of all Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 SP1 clients and also affects Windows Servers. 

Microsoft blames the out-of-band Internet Explorer security update KB4522016 as a root cause. 

Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog /(Ger) - and - http://borncity.com/win/ (EN)

HP Recommended

On October 03, 2019 Microsoft issued update KB4524147 for v1903.  It was available in Windows Update. It purports to fix the printer issue that arose when installing update KB4517211 (which I later uninstalled).  I installed latest update but it did not solve the printer spooler issue.  I can manually start printer spooling service but as soon as I try to print an error message indicates printer spooler service is off.  Also, message that no printer is installed.  Uninstalling KB4524147 remedies the situation and the printer again works fine.  Printer: HP Officejet Pro 8210

HP Recommended

Saturday, October 05, 2019 - I un-paused Windows Update and KB4524147 is now an optional update.  It had been mandatory when released on October 03, 2019.

HP Recommended

Having the exact same problem, unable to print, particularly as a network printer. Did you uninstall 4524147, 4517211, 4522016 (which MS is saying the root cause) to regain full function? Did you create a system restore point before uninstalling these troublesome updates? Are you on pause for updates?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Through Windows Update, I never received KB4522016, which Microsoft stated was the root cause of the printer issue.

Yes, I uninstalled KB4517211 to regain printer functionality. Yes, I then paused updates   Yes, prior to uninstalling I did create a system restore point but I did not need to use it.

When I read that a fix was available, I un-paused updates and installed KB4524147. When that did not solve the printer issue, yes, I uninstalled it to regain printer functionality. Yes, I then again paused updates. Yes, prior to uninstalling I did create a system restore point but I did not need to use it.

On October 05, 2019 I un-paused updates and KB4524147 now appears as an optional update. I did not select it and I again paused updates pending Microsoft’s next action (perhaps on October 08, 2019 as part of “Update Tuesday”) to resolve the printer issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Jay 1958. Your insight and what you did is much appreciated. I think I might stand pat for right now before uninstalling the update to see what develops on Patch Tuesday.

Many thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're welcome Doc-Westin.  I'll post again when something changes, whether it solves the issue or not. 

HP Recommended

Below is a link to an article discussing the issues reported after installing KB4524147.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb4524147-update-may-cause-boot-and-print...

HP Recommended

Thanks for article reference regarding 4524147 - it appears to have broken more than printers. While I thought about standing pat using the 8210 UPD PCL 6 USB driver, I decided to do a system restore overnight back to 09-24-2019. It was able to restore the network setup for the printer with a driver, but could not print. It gives suspicion that the printer issue maybe extend back into the September Patch Tuesday. To have a workable printer, I unistalled the printer then reinstalled using the setup disk. If you use the setup disk you can avoid using the universal USB driver since it installs an HP driver. While a lot of users have paused/disabled updates, at some point MS knows we'll have to install them.

I have read MS is aware of the printer spool issues, especially with networked printers. They just don't know when they will be able to correct the issue, and not break something else in process.

My system restore has gummed up the use of MS Edge, which I was using. However IE 11 is working well enough. I may install Chrome or Firefox to have better browsing of the web.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.