Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Received message on HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer that "The printhead appears tp be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed."  Followed instructions to remove and reinstall printhead but problem persists.  Do I need a new printhead?  Printer is out of warranty.  Is printhead expensive?

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

@Printhead12, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I'm afraid this seems like a hardware issue with the printhead of the printer. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, perform step 2 mentioned in this document.

The printhead is expensive as it is a main part of the printer. 

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked with HP Parts and the printhead is no longer available, so I bought another printer.

HP Recommended

@Printhead12

Congratulations on the new printer. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

corrective steps outlined don't work!!!

HP Recommended

Hi @dusty32

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. This is a hardware issue and I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

updated firmware and no help.  Now what?

Dave

HP Recommended

@DavidHH1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Assuming that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8610 All-in-One printer, I'd suggest you go through the steps from the document Printhead Errors. If the issue persists, this could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I I turned off my printer from the wall for at least 2 minutes and turned it back on and the problem was not solved. 

I use my printer sometimes twice a month the most. I don't understand why is having this problem.

Is there anything else that I can do to solve the issue with my printer?

HP Recommended

@mario2020

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number?

Which operating system is installed on the computer to which this printer is connected?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.