Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4527
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just installed brand new instant ink cartridges in Envy 4527 which HP sent me after expiry of old ones. They  work OK with copying coloured documents and producing good Print Quality Diagnostic. But still I get no colour printing on documents or photos sent from my computer. They print documents in grey scale even though I have asked for colour. I have tried replacing drivers but no change.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My printer is now working!

Because of the hang up during installation and the rotating blue circle I had to just shut down the computer to move on. When I restarted I tried a test print hoping to at least get a black print output and was amazed to find that the printed page now included colour. I guess some of the actions suggested must have worked in spite of the fact that the installation of new driver seemed to have been incomplete. I don't know whether I am using a new driver or just the old driver rectified. Anyway all seems good. Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Maulden, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues printing from the computer as it does not give you options to print in color. This could be an issue with the installed drivers.

Follow the steps below-

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Now, download and install the full-featured software from here.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help but at the moment this seems to be a disaster! At this moment I have a rotating blue circle in the middle of trying to install the downloaded full-featured software.

I followed the steps that were suggested, removing my printer from windows and then removing driver. At the point of removing driver it asked whether I wanted to just remove the driver or the driver and package. Your suggestion did not specify so I chose 'remove driver only'. I then downloaded the full-featured software as recommended and started the install process. It proceeded up to the point where it asked for my location in a pop-up box. I entered the details but it then hung with a blue circle rotating.

A the time of submitting this, 4/12/2019, 13:20 UK time, the circle is still rotating after an hour. What now?  Trying to cure the fault of no colour I now have no printer installed at all!

HP Recommended

@Maulden,

Thanks for replying!

Restart the print spooler and try uninstalling the drivers-

Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer is now working!

Because of the hang up during installation and the rotating blue circle I had to just shut down the computer to move on. When I restarted I tried a test print hoping to at least get a black print output and was amazed to find that the printed page now included colour. I guess some of the actions suggested must have worked in spite of the fact that the installation of new driver seemed to have been incomplete. I don't know whether I am using a new driver or just the old driver rectified. Anyway all seems good. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Maulden

That's great! Happy to hear that.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.