Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have tried printing out the same letter over and over again but it keeps missing out bits of letters and numbers.  I am using HP cartridges.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Lynda2020

Welcome to HP support community.

Did you make a copy and check if that prints fine?

Meanwhile:

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. Load the printer with plain white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe left on the display, and then touch Setup .

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic report prints.

Print Quality Diagnostic report without defects

If that does not print fine. follow the below steps:

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

1. Gather the following materials:

• A clean, lint-free cloth or a clean, dry cotton swab

• Distilled or bottled water

CAUTION: 

Do not use tap water because it might contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer, and then raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

3. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

4. Lift up the lid on the ink cartridge slot, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Removing the ink cartridge

5. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Holding the ink cartridge by its sides.

6. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth or swab with bottled or distilled water.

7. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the cloth or swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

Cleaning the area around the ink nozzle

1. Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

8. Wait for the cleaned area to dry before you continue (approximately 10 minutes).

9. With the nozzles toward the printer, insert the ink cartridge into its slot until it snaps into place.

NOTE: 

Install the color ink cartridge on the left and the black ink cartridge on the right.

Inserting the ink cartridge.

10. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

11. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

12. Close the ink cartridge access door.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The test sheet didn't print perfectly but your instructions are far too complicated for a non techy 70+ so I'll either have to put up with it or throw away an almost new printer.  I haven't had much luck with HP in the past year.  I bought an HP computer at the same time last February and it died after six months of not performing well.  The replacement didn't even last six days.  I had to get a refund.  I wish I'd never bought any HP products.  Surely after having only printed out five letters and two sheets of labels it shouldn't have developed a problem.

HP Recommended

@Lynda2020

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there a way I can do this without the serial number which is totally inaccessible as my desk is in an alcove and I cannot see what is on the plate at the back.  I assume the serial number is there?

HP Recommended

@Lynda2020

Here are the steps to check the serial number:- Click here

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I said before, I know where the serial number is located but because my printer is on a desk in an alcove I cannot access the back of it to read the serial number.  I am unable to move the desk out to get behind it.

HP Recommended

@Lynda2020

I am sending you a private message with the options to talk to HP support. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Why use Private Messages to give me a telephone support number?  You could have put it on here.  I notice it is a Premium number costing 33p per minute.  Surely help for a product still under guarantee should be free or at least with only a reasonable charge?

HP Recommended

Why send this by PM? 

Provide the below details of yours for further assistance:

Country,

Phone,

Email,

Product number,

Serial number of the printer.

I have already said that I cannot access the serial number of the printer, no do I know the Product number.  All I know about the printer is what it says on the front, i.e. HP Envy 5030.  I never did understand why manufacturers always put important details on the back of products.  Clearly I'm not going to get any constructive help so I'll just have to deal with it myself.

Not impressed with HP at all!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.