Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Envy 5540 will not print.  Microsoft Device manager says it is working properly.  I can scan a document from my computer. But when I try to print nothing happens.  I got to Devices and Printers folder.  I click on HP Printer Assistant and get Print menu page.  I click on Customize your Printer and I get an error message that says the HP Envy 5540 printer driver is not installed on this computer and I click on YES to install the driver. The wizard shows me the driver to install: HP ENVY 5540 series, x64, Type 3 - User Mode.  I click FINISH and the wizard closes but it still does not print.  It does not print a test page.  I click on HP Customize Your Printer and I get same error message.  I this clearly seems like a problem with HP software and I need it fixed.  Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@billwbrun

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer and it has stopped printing. The Device Manager shows that the printer is fine. You're able to scan a document but cannot print (That was a good observation by you.)

You have reinstalled the printer drivers and the issue still persists. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Do you get any error messages while trying to print?
  • Have you tried printing from multiple applications and checked?
  • Is the printer connected via USB or wirelessly?
  • Is the printer able to make a copy?

If the scanning works fine then it indicates that the connectivity between the computer and the printer is good. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor program. The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free tool for Windows to help resolve printer drivers related issues.
  • If the printer still isn't able to print then let us uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them by following the below steps.
  • In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

Noe, please download and install the drivers from this link

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Big thanks for the detailed reply.  I will certainly try what you suggest but it will be a few days as I am going out of town this morning.  This is a serious problem for me for sure, but it does not take prededence over my visit to the Masters for tomorrow's practise round.  :Wink:

HP Recommended

@billwbrun

You're most welcome. 

Please take your time. I'm always here to assist you. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Kazi,

I have tried printing from multiple apps.  It is connected wirelessly.  I tried what you suggested:

- HP Print & Scan Doctor does not run, it extracts but nothing happens.  I try to run again and I get message "Another instance of this app is already running".

- I deleted driver as you suggested and reinstalled driver from your link. I get message "Unsucessful Network Installation" screen.  I cut off printer wireless and cut back on and it reconnects to my network.  I retry installation and get same result.

- Printer is web-connected and prints ok if I email file to printer.

- I check for the printer on Windows Devices and Printers and it is not listed.  Maybe since it is web-connected it cannot connect to my computer?  I only recently connected it to the web and cannot remember if I have ever printed with it web-connected.

What next?

Thanks for your help,

Bill

HP Recommended

@billwbrun

It has been a good observation by you. 🙂

• If your HP printer is printing the emails then it indicates that the printer is well connected to the wireless network.
  • Also, when the printer is absent in Devices and Printers windows, it means that the printer drivers are not installed.

I suggest you to try installing the inbuilt drivers available in Windows operating system: http://hp.care/2oFb5It

NOTE: Please refer to  Wireless or wired network connection (Windows 10, 😎 in "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard."

• When you get the list of HP printer drivers to choose from, then please select the drivers for HP Deskjet 990c and continue with the installation. 

I hope this information does the trick. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended
Will do, but why select drivers for HP Dealer 990C when my printer is an Envy 5540?
HP Recommended
Crazy phone... HP Deskjet 990C
HP Recommended

@billwbrun

The drivers of HP Deskjet 990c work for most of the HP Printers and serve the printing purpose. We suggest using the Deskjet 990c drivers when the original drivers don't perform well or do not exist. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I tried and when I got to list of drivers, the driver for Deskjet 990c was not listed. 

I then tried using Envy 5540 selection and PIN and I got screen that it had been installed successfully, but it would not print a test page.

I don't understand why it won't install using the original driver that worked for 15 months.  I have had several printers in the past and when they stopped printing, I could always fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling with new copy of the driver that had worked in the past.  This is kind of crazy to me. 

What next?

Thanks for your help,

Bill

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.