Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2633
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please can someone help me, I have been trying to fix my printer for days and I am so sick of hitting dead ends. When I try to print from HP Smart or Photos I get the error "Your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem 0X800401F3". When I try to print from Microsoft Word I get "cannot print due to a problem with the printer setup". Both my PC and HP Smart are telling me printer is fine and ready for use. I have followed the troubleshooting methods I found on the forums and none of them have worked:

• Unplugged for 60 seconds, plugged back in.

• Removed cartridges, unplug and put back in. 

• Updated drivers (they were up to date) 

• Uninstalled all HP Printer software and reinstalled.

• Removed printer from devices and added it back again. 

• Removed printer from HP Smart and set up again. 

• I have used my PC printer troubleshooter (says nothing is wrong) 

• I have also used the HP printer troubleshooter (directs me to uninstall my HP software as it cannot fix it and reinstall which I did and when doing this proceeding to still have the problem and using this troubleshooter again it told me the same thing again.)

Please can someone help me because at this point I just want to smash this thing to pieces. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MayMango, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Restart the printer and the computer. Now, follow the steps below-

1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Services.

3. In the Services window, right-click Print Spooler, and then select Stop.

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.

4. After the service stops, close the Services window.

5. In Windows, search for and open C:Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

6. Delete all files in the PRINTERS folder.

7. Shut down your computer.

8. Connect the printer power cord to the power outlet, and then turn on the printer.

9. Turn on the computer, and then try to print.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I tried this but it did not work.

When I got to C:Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS the folder was already empty but I still completed all the steps. When I came back on it said no printers were found so I went back to services and started the Print Spooler again. I went to print and got the same error message from Word "cannot print due to a problem with printer setup".

HP Recommended

I also don't know if it is worth mentioning, on Microsoft Word if I click "more print settings" when trying to print it says "Word could not retrieve all the print setting from HP920478 (HP DeskJet 2600 series). and then says "Do you want to try connecting to the printer again?" But no matter how many times I try "Connect to Printer" I still get the same error "Word can't print due to a problem with the printer setup". I also uninstalled and reinstalled my printer again yesterday and still no change. I'm really hoping someone can help me because I need to be able to print and I'm really wishing I never bought this printer as it's very problematic. 

HP Recommended

@MayMango

1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type UAC, and then enter.

2. Do one of the following:

• To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

Watch the Video Here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7(This is a third-party link. Please do not click on any ad, image, download, popup or link or anywhere else as this is a third-party link meant only for viewing information).

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.