Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello! I'm hoping that I can get this problem resolved. Basically, my HP Envy 4520 will NOT print black ink correctly.

Since the beginning of the month of November, I've been having this issue with the black ink where it will only print outlines of text and other things in black, or not print black ink at all. My printer prints in color perfectly fine, it's just the black ink. Originally I thought it was because I hadn't used my printer in a while. I have not changed any settings on the printer as I don't usually use a printer that often, so I have no reason to change anything.

I went through the websites Virtual Chat and was brought to a troubleshooting article for my printer. I have tried pretty much every option that applied to me - I've turned it off and on multiple times, unplugging it from a power source and whatnot; I've uninstalled the device and reinstalled the latest driver; I've printed out two print quality reports that are similar to each other (poor quality); I've also done an alignment which did nothing. I can attach photos of what images look like when printed out.

Like I said, I haven't changed any settings on my printer as far as I'm aware. My ink cartridges are HP Ink cartridges that I bought from WalMart, so I would assume they're genuine and working just fine. If anybody has some kind of solution to this, please let me know!

These are the print quality reports I printed out during my troubleshooting.These are the print quality reports I printed out during my troubleshooting.This is an image of the printer quality reports that I printed out during my trouble shooting. It's very faded, the black lines are basically nonexistent. There is a red arrow pointing to that middle part of the green rectangle.

This is a digital drawing I've done recently. As you can see the color prints perfectly fine, the problem is the black.This is a digital drawing I've done recently. As you can see the color prints perfectly fine, the problem is the black.This is an image of a digital drawing I've done recently. As you can see, the color prints out just fine. It's the black stroke on the original image that's a problem.

This is a print out of a concert ticket. All the sections circled in purple are supposed to have black ink, but clearly it was not printed correctly.This is a print out of a concert ticket. All the sections circled in purple are supposed to have black ink, but clearly it was not printed correctly.This is an image of a concert ticket. Every section circled in purple is supposed to be black or have black ink, but those were not printed correctly.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @garmzilla 

You need to know the ink level for the black ink cartridge, if the ink level is less than 20% you must replace the ink cartridge

You can try to follow the next link to try to solve the issue

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/5447920/document/c047184...

as a recommendation, I suggest you realize each prove of functionality with the black ink cartridge inside the printer, as the pritner has 2 ink cartridges, the printer works as back up with only 1 ink cartridge.

As recommendation I suggest you prove with another black ink cartridge, if the issue still persist with a second ink cartridge, it can be a problem with your printer and need to be replaced (if you have less than 1Y, you can try to contact tech support team to get a solution).

Hope solve your doubts, if yes let me know it, Regards!

I work on behalf of HP, regards.
Click the KUDOS thumb; up on the left to say 'Thanks' Make it easier for other people to find solutions

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input, I will try to get a replacement ink cartridge and check back!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.