Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have finally resolved this problem! I now have the colour / b&w option buttons back!

I removed the 3 x HP 5540   programmes (HP5540 Basic Device Software, Series H elp and most importantly, driver updater)  using Uninstall option in Control Panel , Programmes and Features.

I used the original disc that came with the printer to re-install the printer software  - I unticked the automatic update option on the page that gave the installation options.

Voila, I now have a fully functioning printer.

HP Recommended

Congrats to resolving the unable to print in B&W problem.  My daughter owns the successor model HP Envy Photo 6255 to the Envy 5540. I should of had my daughter purchase the 7855 for its ability to FAX, larger Display, USB host (able to plug directly a USB/Thumb Flash Drive) and mostly for its ADF.  However, spending the extra money would of been a waste and really she should have bought the  Epson Work Force Pro WF-4740 as it is a more capable AIO Printer for Home use.  I have 2 daughters currently in college. The Envy 6255 has a Monthly Duty Cycle of 1000 or recommended 300 to 400 pages per month is rather insufficient compared to Epson WF-4740 as it has a Monthly Duty Cycle of 30,000 or recommended 1,500 pages per month.  The durability , print quality, operation and life span of the WF-4740 will exceed that of the Envy 6255. - If it wasn't for the HP Instant Ink Plan and the $30 off - Sale at Best Buy she might had purchased the Epson WF-4740 as I suggested.  Besides that, Epson uses indivdual ink cartridges rather than One Ink Cartridge with all the Colors.  With HP if you run low for example in Cyan you are forced to throw away the other 2 colors since unable to print. With Epson you just replace the color you are low / out of and continue printing and not wasting - throwing away ink that is still in the cartridge. But it was my 18 year old daughter who paid for the HP Envy Photo 6255 printer. She'll learn that buying cheap only results in poor quality and easily breakable products that you will have to replace sooner than expected.  The $100 she spent is not going to break the bank and she'll learn to conduct product research to get a long lasting and efficient quality product that will save her money. Take care of things and maintain them will prevent waste, time and money.

HP Recommended

Having just gone through the same palaver with one of my friends, the only solution after installing/uninstalling the latest driver was as mentioned by SuW to use the original installation disk, something that is usually thrown in the dustbin with the box the printer it comes in, just prior to going online for the latest version.

God **bleep** it HP, test and fix your sh**ty drivers on each Windows 10 release.

HP Recommended

I am glad you were able to help out a friend in their similar dilemma. Drivers are a constant problem.

Microsoft has announced that they will not be releasing a new Operating System any time soon. The rumored Windows 11 is out of the running for at least 5 years.  What we can expect are SP "security patches" or other minor upgrades to Windows 10.  As for Hardware and Peripherals, new Motherboards, CPU's, GPU's "graphic cards", AMD APU's (like CPU), and other computer components including Software companies will have to adapt or configure to Microsoft Windows 10.    The keeping up with the Joneses or as said Microsoft in developing proper and functional Drivers will continue to be a problem since no 2 computers are made alike.  Computer configurations and the components used vary drastically, not to mention  all the external things we connect to them. Next is how we interact with the Internet or world wide web as to how it effects  our computers/ PC . They are prone and acceptable to viruses, malware, spyware, cookies, spam,  adware, trojans that will alter the PC operational status. I will just refer to it as the Bug Invasion or Intrusion of your Privacy. Nothing is safe guarded on your computer.  People lose their jobs due to Face Book or Twitter and misuse of the computer when the Say or Post inappropriate images or text - comments. This comment or message I am leaving could be considered offensive or slander or politically incorrect.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Anything can be twisted from right to wrong.  I thought I was wrong once, only to find out I was right. You can fool some people some of the time but you can't fool them all of the time.

HP Recommended

I fully expected that to finish with Mankind being thrown off Hell in a Cell into the announcers table.. 

Perhaps I'm just jaded by Reddit.

HP Recommended

I've read through all these posts, and have yet to find a solution.  Only a few days ago, my HP Envy 5546 began defaulting to monochrome.  I cant get it to print in colour.  Change the settings prior to pressing PRINT, and they straight back to monochrome.

Does anyone have a definitive solution.  Using Windows 10, by the way 😞

Thanks,
Chris D

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

I solved my issue by removing the printer driver from my PC and reloading the driver from the installation disk that came with the printer. When prompted, I answered “No” to automatic updating of the driver. This worked and I have had no problems since.

I think that there is a conflict with the updated W10 driver that is downloaded if you answer yes to automatic updating.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks. That makes sense.  However, I didn't get a disc; which is often the way, nowadays 🙂 

HP Recommended

I'm happy to send you a copy of my disk or even to try to zip up the contents and send it to you but I'd need your email address and not sur how to get that from you discreetly?

Best wishes

Clive

HP Recommended

Cheers Clive,

[personal information removed]

Appreciated.

Chris D.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.