Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My Envy 7640 all-in-one printer will not recognize the new cartridges I just installed (#62) and I have tried cleaning the connectors (on cartridges and printer).  The display shows no ink level (as if empty), but they are never-used cartridges.  I haven't used the printer in a long time, so I"m wondering if that's the problem.  I've tried the other troubleshooting solutions with no success.

Also, I used to be enrolled in the HP Instand Ink program but i cancelled that.  Since then I have not been able to use the printer with the instant ink cartridges, so I bought HP #62 cartridges, and these are the ones it doesn't recognize.  The black cartridge is new (today) but the color cartridge has been in the printer a while, but not used.  Any ideas?

AmyEP

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @AmyEP,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are getting an error message related to ink cartridge on your HP Envy 7640 printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts as well as the rollers?

Are you able to move the carriage freely?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

For more details, please go through the steps suggested in the support document for - HP DeskJet 5645, ENVY 5640, 5660, 7640 and Officejet 5740, 8040 Printers - A 'Cartridges Missing' or...

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

A:  It is connected USB at the moment.

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts as well as the rollers?

A:  I haved tried to clean the contacts.  Haven't cleaned the rollers (why would the rollers matter?)

Are you able to move the carriage freely?

A:  Not sure what the carriage is, but I am able to remove the cartridges and replace them easily.

I will try your suggestion.  I tried something similar, and it did not work.

Amy

HP Recommended

Hi @AmyEP,

As I understand you are having issues with the HP Instant ink cartridges. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/PrivateMessage_Question3

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the information is critical)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The hard reset did not help.  I'm receiving the same message when the printer comes on, and when I send a print job.  Message is, "Ink Cartridg Problem:  Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed, and then touch OK."

Both tri-color and black cartidge icons show on the screen.  Both cartidges do click in.  I have no idea what to try next.  Cartridges are new.

Amy

HP Recommended

Did AmyEP get a reply and solution? I don't see one in this string. I have the same issue today and spent the past couple of hours on it. All of the proffered solutions don't work and the online support is meaningless. 

HP Recommended

The printer is connected by both a USB cable and wireless

HP Recommended

The carriage does not move freely.  What are the rollers?

HP Recommended

Hi @epsteinjs

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. This looks like a hardware issue. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.