Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My print cartridges are 1/3 - 1/2 full, nothing has changed that I did, but it won't print in color!!??

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Further, when I try and copy a color page, it only copies in black and white even though I've selected to copy in color. It used to copy and print from my computer in color, but no longer. I don't constantly print, so it was a while between print jobs, so I can't really say if this happened after a Windows update or what, but I know a couple of months ago it was printing color.

HP Recommended

@margretdzn, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document Color or Black Ink is Not Printing (The hp system is being updated and the link should work shortly) and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure. 

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I find it strange that the document link you provided was for "color and black ink not printing", but the ARTICLE ITSELF was for ONLY BLACK INK not printing and other print quality issues.   NO MENTION OF COLOR INK?

And this article is only really about the cartridge malfunctioning---I already checked that, first thing I checked when I noticed no color printing was to take the cartridge out and clean the head.

JUST NOW I TRIED taking out the color cartridge and soaking it in a little warm water just in case the print head was dry---my cartridge shows it's 1/3 full of ink----and when I put it back I got an error message saying there was only 1 cartridge in the printer, so I decided to try printing with only the black and see what happened----before just now, when I was printing using black and color ink, the color ink was not printing out but the black ink was lighter in color than usual. So I put the color ink back in again so printer registered 2 cartridges and when it printed with the color cartridge in place, there still was no color, but the black ink printed was much lighter than with just the 1 cartridge of black installed.

My product is out of warranty since 2016, although I only purchased it 2 years ago on Amazon. Certainly makes me more aware as a consumer.

I always had HP printers for years, considered them the best, but after this with the color stopping printing and there being no fix for me AND unaware buying of an out of warranty product, apparently I have to get another printer, I will certainly look elsewhere for a printer than HP!

HP Recommended

@margretdzn

I understand your concern. The same troubleshooting steps can be performed for the color not working issue as well. This could be because of the ink system failure. And hence, I referred you to contact the support team for further assistance.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.