Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrsTaylor3
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP OfficeJet 5258 runs out of ink quickly (& I use XL cartridges).

HP OfficeJet 5258

HP OfficeJet 5258 

model number SNPRC-1702-02

this printer goes through ink quickly

I purchased XL cartridges, and it still runs out pretty fast

I have used HP printers in the past 5 years, the XL cartridges used in those HP printers used to last me many months.

I'm a teacher and the amount of printing I am doing currently has not changed compared to when I used my other HP printers. Why is this one running out so fast?

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
23,808 23,589 2,043 7,471
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP OfficeJet 5258 runs out of ink quickly (& I use XL cartridges).

@MrsTaylor3 

@MrsTaylor3 wrote:

HP OfficeJet 5258 

model number SNPRC-1702-02

this printer goes through ink quickly

I purchased XL cartridges, and it still runs out pretty fast

I have used HP printers in the past 5 years, the XL cartridges used in those HP printers used to last me many months.

I'm a teacher and the amount of printing I am doing currently has not changed compared to when I used my other HP printers. Why is this one running out so fast?

Teaches know that open ended questions are difficult to answer.  Smiling.

"Pretty fast" likely describes a period of time less than "many months".

I do understand that the printer is in some way not performing the way you expect.

Some of the answer perhaps has to do with the number of pages, the type of printing (for example, color / full page / combination printing of text and images, quality settings).  Much of the answer has to do with the particular printer:  how it uses ink compared to other printers (not all printers use ink at the same rate).

The first thing to do - and yes, it takes some ink to do so - is to make sure the printer is performing the way it is intended.  That is, check that the printer is doing the best it can do.

Solutions, presented in the order to be considered / completed:

Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Observations (Personal Opinion)

In general, and acknowledging that Officejet printers come in many flavors, this model is a budget printer as compared to some others in its class.  Printers do not always provide the same level of performance as do higher grade (and higher cost) printers in the same class (for example, Officejet).

The Specifications remind us to check the Page Yield Overview document:

Print cartridges

Number of print cartridges
2 (1 black, 1 Tri-color [cyan, magenta, yellow])
Replacement cartridges
F6U62A HP 63 Black Ink Cartridge (~190 pages); F6U61A HP 63 Tri-color Ink Cartridge (~165 pages); F6U64A HP 63XL Black Original Ink Cartridge (~480 pages); F6U63A HP 63XL Tri-color Original Ink Cartridge (~330 pages); Actual yields vary based on images printed and other factors. Printer & Page Yield Overview

Observation

There might be differences in the way the two cartridges work in this printer as opposed to how ink is used in a printer that supports individual color cartridges (magenta, cyan, yellow).  There might be differences in the way the single color cartridge and the black cartridge is used to create not just color, but gray and shades (intensities) of black.

I am sure you are aware of changing the print quality to reduce the amount of ink used.

Instant Ink?

If you print approximately the same number of pages each month and you live in a region that includes the Instant Ink service, consider whether this service is a reasonable alternative to purchasing your own ink.

Be aware: 

• Instant Ink is a Print-by-Page subscription for which you pay a monthly subscription fee. 
  • Instant Ink subscription requires the printer to be connected to the Internet (Web Services).
  • The price of the subscription is determined by the plan you choose (number of pages printed).
  • A "printed page" is any page / sheet on which ink is printed - one word is the same as a color photo.
  • Ink is provided at no additional cost during the time the subscription is active
  • Instant Ink cartridges remain the property of HP.   All the Ink you need /use is provided to you during the subscription.  After the subscription is terminated, regardless of reason, Instant Ink cartridges will stop working.  Ideally, and according to the contract, unused Instant Ink (partial and new cartridges) should be returned to HP.  Know this.

Regardless of the restrictions, an Instant Ink subscription can save you money.

If you are interested, IF you would like more information,

HP Printers - Enrolling in HP Instant Ink

and

HP Instant Ink - Main Website - Information, Enroll, FAQ, Terms of Contract

Not your home site?  Click the Flag to change to your region.

Suggestions

• Please read the Instant Ink contract before enrolling. 
  • Understand the Instant Ink subscription service before you commit.
  • Read the yield overview document to understand more about how ink is used.
  • If you feel there is something wrong with your printer hardware, open a case with HP Technical Support.
  • Decide how to proceed based on what you know.

========================================================

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

From HP > CAUTION

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

References

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 5258 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation