Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP_OfficeJet_Pro_8720

Recently my printer stopped printing 2-sided.  Trouble-shooting, I find that the default paper option is "index card 8.5 X 11".  The option for US letter is no longer an option, although US legal is, but I am told that the "index card 8.5X11" can not print 2 sided.  I have tried other paper options with "fit to sheet" and they are not satisfactory.  What happened and solutions? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @plw1861,

Thanks for your reply with the needed information,

I really appreciate you working with me.

Step 1: Uninstall all the printer software from your Mac PC.

Then download and install the latest version of HP Easy Start from here.

For duplex printing you can follow these steps:

If your printer supports automatic duplexing or you installed a duplexer accessory, confirm the feature is configured on the Mac and set up the print job.

Step 1: Confirm the correct print driver is used. [If your printer uses the AirPrint driver, automatic duplexing does not work. Make sure the correct driver that supports automatic duplexing is used].

• Turn on the printer and make sure it connects to the Mac with a USB cable or over a local network.
  • From the Apple menu, click System Preferences, click Printers & Scanners, then click your printer name in the Printers list.
  • Locate your printer name next to Kind in the right pane.

• ​​​​​​​If AirPrint is not in the name, you are using the HP driver. Continue to the next step.
  • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​If AirPrint is in the name, re-add the printer using the HP driver.
  • Click the minus sign at the bottom of the Printers pane to remove the printer, click the plus sign , click the name of your printer in the Add window, click the Use menu and select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu, then click Add. Continue to the next step.

Step 2: Configure the automatic duplexer in the HP software.

• Activate the duplexing accessory on the Mac before starting the print job.
  • Select your printer in the Printers list, then click Options & Supplies.

• Click Options, then select the check box next to HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer).
  • Note: If a duplexer does not display, your printer does not support automatic duplexing. Use the manual duplexing steps in this document to print.

Step 3: Print the document.

• Change the print settings to automatically print on both sides of the page, and save your settings as a preset option for the next time you print.
  • To avoid page ordering issues, load enough blank paper into the input tray to fully complete your print job. The printer prints the front side of the paper first. Load the paper with the top edge first and the print side facing down.
  • Open the document that you want to print, click File, then click Print.
  • If no settings display, click Show Details.
  • Select the name of your printer in the Printer menu.
  • Click the box next to Two-Sided, then select Layout from the unnamed menu at the center of the window.
  • Note: If the Two-Sided option does not display, your printer does not support automatic duplexing. Use the manual duplexing steps in this document to print.

• From the Two-Sided menu, select a setting depending on if you want to read the document as a booklet or a tablet.

• Note: If you want to keep these settings for future print jobs, click the Presets drop-down menu, select Save Current Settings as Preset, then name it.
  • Click Print.

You can find the above mention steps in this article.

Keep me posted with the results after trying the steps.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

​​​​​​​Cheers! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @plw1861,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 🙂 
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I will be glad to help you with your HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series.

As I understand that you are unable to do 2 sided printing and you are not able to find the correct paper size in the print settings.

I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution.

Are you using Windows or Mac OS? (Also tell me Version of the OS like is it Windows 10 or Windows 8.1)

From which application are you trying to print?

Assuming you are using Windows OS refer to the below steps to print on both sides of the paper:

• To avoid page ordering issues, load enough blank paper into the input tray to fully complete your print job.
  • pen the document that you want to print, click File, then click Print.
  • Select the name of your printer, then click Printer Properties or Preferences, or Printer Setup, depending on what displays.
  • The Document Properties or Printing Preferences window opens.
  • If a printing shortcuts tab is available, select the Print on Both Sides or Two-sided (Duplex) Printing option, if available.

Figure: Duplex printing settings on the Printing Shortcut tab

• If a Printing Shortcut tab or a duplexing shortcut is not available, click the Layout, Features, or Finishing tab, depending on which tab displays in your driver version

Figure: Example of duplex printing settings on the Layout tab

• Locate the Print on Both Sides or Two-sided printing menu or option, then select the binding or page flip option depending on if you want the document to read like a booklet or a tablet.

Figure: Example of booklet and tablet style

• Click OK, then click Print.

You can use this link to know about document printing settings.

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Have a great day! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am using the MAC OS Sierra Version 10.12.5 system so your suggestions do not fit; however, the process you described sounded much like the troubleshooting I tried.  Any different suggestions for the MAC?

The US letter option for paper size is no longer available and although I click on 2-sided it will not print 2-sided. It has told me that the default option "index card 8.5 X 11 can not print 2-sided but I am not aware of any changes that created this default.   I am printing from Word, Excel, and off of Google Chrome.

HP Recommended

Hi @plw1861,

Thanks for your reply with the needed information,

I really appreciate you working with me.

Step 1: Uninstall all the printer software from your Mac PC.

Then download and install the latest version of HP Easy Start from here.

For duplex printing you can follow these steps:

If your printer supports automatic duplexing or you installed a duplexer accessory, confirm the feature is configured on the Mac and set up the print job.

Step 1: Confirm the correct print driver is used. [If your printer uses the AirPrint driver, automatic duplexing does not work. Make sure the correct driver that supports automatic duplexing is used].

• Turn on the printer and make sure it connects to the Mac with a USB cable or over a local network.
  • From the Apple menu, click System Preferences, click Printers & Scanners, then click your printer name in the Printers list.
  • Locate your printer name next to Kind in the right pane.

• ​​​​​​​If AirPrint is not in the name, you are using the HP driver. Continue to the next step.
  • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​If AirPrint is in the name, re-add the printer using the HP driver.
  • Click the minus sign at the bottom of the Printers pane to remove the printer, click the plus sign , click the name of your printer in the Add window, click the Use menu and select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu, then click Add. Continue to the next step.

Step 2: Configure the automatic duplexer in the HP software.

• Activate the duplexing accessory on the Mac before starting the print job.
  • Select your printer in the Printers list, then click Options & Supplies.

• Click Options, then select the check box next to HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer).
  • Note: If a duplexer does not display, your printer does not support automatic duplexing. Use the manual duplexing steps in this document to print.

Step 3: Print the document.

• Change the print settings to automatically print on both sides of the page, and save your settings as a preset option for the next time you print.
  • To avoid page ordering issues, load enough blank paper into the input tray to fully complete your print job. The printer prints the front side of the paper first. Load the paper with the top edge first and the print side facing down.
  • Open the document that you want to print, click File, then click Print.
  • If no settings display, click Show Details.
  • Select the name of your printer in the Printer menu.
  • Click the box next to Two-Sided, then select Layout from the unnamed menu at the center of the window.
  • Note: If the Two-Sided option does not display, your printer does not support automatic duplexing. Use the manual duplexing steps in this document to print.

• From the Two-Sided menu, select a setting depending on if you want to read the document as a booklet or a tablet.

• Note: If you want to keep these settings for future print jobs, click the Presets drop-down menu, select Save Current Settings as Preset, then name it.
  • Click Print.

You can find the above mention steps in this article.

Keep me posted with the results after trying the steps.

​​​​​​​Cheers! 🙂

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This doesn't help me. I'm having the same problem. Duplex printing was working - and now it is not. 

I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.6

HP Driver version 4.3.0

HP Recommended

Since the upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.3 I cannot use the two sided print option either...:(

HP Recommended

Ever since I upgraded to MAC 10.13.6, my HP 8720 will not print 2-sided, even when I insert the document on the document feeder without going through the mac.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.