Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5260
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I installed my new printer and connected it to my network.  After a couple of months my computer (Windows 10) is telling me that the printer is offline and not connected to my network, but the printer says it is connected.  I have reconnected several times and have run through all the troubleshooters provided by HP and Windows, but the problem still exists.  Anyone know how to fix this problem?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CornwallBob Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the printer is connected to the network and its showing offline.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

There is an update to improve the discoverability of printers. This update can help prevent occurrences of your printer going offline, especially for wireless connections

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458

1. Download the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor is open, click Start, and then choose your printer.

• If your printer is not listed, turn it on and click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in the tool.
  4. Click Fix Printing.

5. If the printer continues to go offline, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Set the default printer and unpause printing

The default print driver might have changed from the driver you installed to another driver, such as a Web Services for Devices (WSD) driver with a very similar name. Change the default print driver to your originally installed driver and confirm the printer is not set for offline use.

Video of checking the printer status in Devices and Printers

A status message of offline or printer offline displays on the computer, and the printer does not print.

1. Turn the printer off and on, and then make sure it is in a ready state.

2. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

3. Find the icon for the printer you originally installed.

A status message of offline or printer offline displays on the computer, and the printer does not print.

4. Right-click the icon for the default printer, and then select See what's printing.

5. Click Printer. If a checkmark displays next to Pause Printing and Use Printer Offline, click each item to remove the checkmark.

6. Try to print.

Step 2: Reset the print environment

Resetting the printer can help restore a connection to the computer.

1. Turn the printer off, wait about 10 seconds, and then disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.

2. Turn off the computer or device that you are trying to print from.

3. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer if it does not automatically power on.

4. If your printer uses a wireless connection, restart the router:

1. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router. Internet service will be interrupted while the router is not in service.

2. Wait 10 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the router.

3. Wait for the router’s network activity light to light.

4. Press the wireless button or wireless control panel icon on the printer to turn the wireless connection off, and then on.

5. Wait for the printer to reconnect to your router.

5. Turn on the computer.

6. Try to print.

1. If you can print, you are done.

2. If the printer cannot print and remains offline, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Set the default printer

The default print driver might have changed from the driver you installed to another driver, such as a Web Services for Devices (WSD) driver with a very similar name. Change the default print driver to your originally installed driver and confirm the printer is not set for offline use.

1. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers from the list of results in Settings.

2. Right-click the name of the HP printer that is active (not grayed out), and then select Set as Default Printer.

Changing the gray icon to the color icon to be the default printer

3. Try to print.

• If you can print, you are done.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.