Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can anyone help resolve a slow printing problem with my OfficeJet Pro 8100 after the Windows 10 Fall Creator's upgrade?

Heres what I'm seeing and here's what I've done so far.

When I select to print somethng within Windows 10 there's a delay betweek the time that you clikc print and the time that the 8100 wakes up and prints.  Before the Fall Creators Upgrade there was no lag however since the upgrade there is now a several second delay.

I have completely removed my 8100 from Windows 10, restarted, and reinstalled my 8100 on my system using the latest Windows 10 64-bit installation software from HP. 

I have have removed the power cord from my printer and watied at least a minute for the printer to reset itsslf.  

I attempted to find a Firmware upgrade for the printer itself on the HP website but I cannot find a firmware upgrade to install. 

I've ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor V5.1 and when finsihed it says that there is nothing wrong with anything in regard t this printer (i.e. No recommended updates, print spooler OK, Driver OK, Device status oK Device manager OK, Device online OK,  Print Queue OK, Port Match OK and no device conflicts).

Despite all of the above if I'm in Microsoft Word and print a document there is about an 8 second delay from the time click print and the time that the printer wakes up and starts to feed a piece of paper up into the printer from the tray.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Moondoggy51

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8100 ePrinter and post the Windows 10 Fall Creator's upgrade, the printer responds slowly to print commands. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Let me know if I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.the photo copy is slow

I did some research and found that you're correct, there is no firmware update for Win10. But there is a firmware update for Win8.1 and lower operating systems.

Secondly, you may try to uninstall the drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link.

If the issue persists then try installing the basic printer drivers from this link.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Moondoggy51

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8100 ePrinter and post the Windows 10 Fall Creator's upgrade, the printer responds slowly to print commands. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Let me know if I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.the photo copy is slow

I did some research and found that you're correct, there is no firmware update for Win10. But there is a firmware update for Win8.1 and lower operating systems.

Secondly, you may try to uninstall the drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link.

If the issue persists then try installing the basic printer drivers from this link.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  

I applied the firmware release from the link that you provided.  I then went and performed all of the steps you provided in your reply.  Afterwared I tried to print a 1 page email message that was not very large to begin with.  Unfortunately, after hitting print in Outlook 2010 I counted 8 seconds before the printer woke up and fetched a new piece of paper from the 8100's tray.  Perhaps I'm just dreaming but I swear that I did not have an 8 second delay prior to the Windows 10 Fall Creator's upgrade but by chance I ran into an HP representative on her way into Office Depot.   I asked her about the delay and she said that HP printers do go into kind of a hibernation mode when not in use and that some delay can be expected for the printer to "wake up".  She was not sure what the behavior of my 8100 should be given that it's a bit aged.  Perhaps this is the way it is.  Anyway, I wanted to thank you for the post as there's another person on another forum that was asking me for procedures on how to do what you've outlined.

HP Recommended

@Moondoggy51

You're most welcome. 🙂

I think there would be a delay of a few seconds while resuming from sleep and print.

another HP printer I tried with and there was a delay of 3-4 seconds. 

Please feel free to keep in touch in future for any assistance. Take care! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.