Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot get any file ([icture, text, worksheet) from my computer to print in color even if I change the individual document settings to color and then print. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and drivers. 

I have looked up settings and changed them to color as opposed to monochrome. 

I am not sure what else to try. My kids are trying to print homework. 

HELP!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @t1234

Please uninstall the Printer Driver.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers

Restart the computer and printer and download the Full Feature Software from HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Let me know if that helps.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62
HP Recommended

Hi @t1234

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you are unable to print in Color even though you changed the settings.

I could help.

Please check if you have an adequate amount of ink left in all the cartridges.

Also, print a Diagnostic Page and let me know if it prints colors.

1. Load plain paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Figure: Example of Print Quality Diagnostic page

Image: Print Quality Diagnostic page

If any of the color blocks show white lines, are faded or are missing completely, clean the cartridges.

1. Load plain paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.

4. The printer performs the automated cleaning process, and then prints a Print Quality Diagnostic page.

• If the print quality is acceptable, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, touch OK for a Second-level Cleaning when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning.

NOTE:If the ink cartridge nozzles are badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.

If the print quality is still unacceptable, continue to manually clean the area around the Ink Nozzles. Please refer to Step 13 from this Link.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I recently switched to the HP instant ink and just installed the newly delivered cartridges. 

I printed that page yesterday and it came out in color. However, no other pages will print in color from my laptop. I am running windows 10 pro.  I have even opened pictures with the HP app and printed them with the setting sating to print in color, did not work.

I think the printer is functioning properly it is just getting the correct signal to activate the color cartridge.  Is there a setting you can pojnt me to that would in some way over-ride the settings I try to apply to individual print jobs?

Thank You

HP Recommended

Hi @t1234

Please uninstall the Printer Driver.

3.) Select Uninstall 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 

Restart the computer and printer and download the Full Feature Software from HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Let me know if that helps.

Thank you. 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, first of all, your solution to uninstall and reinstall all software and drivers did work and I'm now able to print in color after doing that.   

But the steps as listed seem to be out of date.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro, version1803. 

(I could not find a function named "Programs and Features."   There is a function in settings named "Apps and Features," but this area no longer has the HP Printer listed to uninstall.  It has various extensions and apps, but not the device itself.  I went ahead and uninstalled the printer from the "Device Manager" settings.) 

3.) Select Uninstall 

(This step works.  But when you do uninstall the device there is a prompt asking if you wish to remove all drivers with the device.  I selected 'yes' to remove all HP drivers.)   

10.) Select Ok 

(None of the above steps would work for me, probably because I already removed the drivers in step #5 above when I removed the device and drivers.  It simply came up with no results.) 

Restart the computer and printer and download the Full Feature Software from Here

(I used the link above and reinstalled everything and the printer now prints in color!) 

HP Recommended

So I uninstalled everything and reinstalled and it worked brilliantly.  I was able to print everything in color again all day long.  Now I wake this morning and I'm back to it being stuck in monochrome.    Between this issue and the issue that in order for me to print wifi I have to litterally turn the printer off and back on once it goes into sleep mode so it will no longer be "off line" .  I'm pretty much ready to just chunck this one in the trash and get a new printer.  If anyone has a solution that doesn't have to be done everytime you use it, you will be my hero for the day

HP Recommended

First It would only print half the page in color and the rest some funny red color. I uninstalled and reinstalled only to lose the color button. I walked through these steps a 2nd time and still no color option. Using Windows 10 on a laptop. HP 3833. Frustrating because I wasted so many sheets of business card paper and I lost many hours of productivity.

HP Recommended

A big thanks to you it worked a treat, it's a new printer and I was confused that it wouldn't print in colour but your tip worked a treat. Thanks.

HP Recommended

I followed every instruction you provided, even before I read your instructions, and the printer still won't print color.  After I completed your instructions, I did a "print quality diagnostic" test from the wireless-connected printer, and for the first time, it did print color.  But then printed from (Win 10) MS Word 2007, no color.  The printer and software both show my color cartridge has plenty of ink.  Any suggestions what to do next?  

HP Recommended

@SanD33

Welcome to HP support community.

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver, follow the below steps:

Change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.