Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This Solution finally worked! I could print color test pages from my hp 3830 series laptop and print color when i would send an email from my phone but nothing would print in color through my laptop! thank you!

HP Recommended

I have installed and reinstalled the drivers for the Officejet 3830 a half dozen times since unpacking it this week, and even though the printer prints in color for test pages, the computer does not have the option from any print windows (MS Office or browser screens) to print in color. From the device setup in Win10 the printer preferences have never showed the color/BW option.

I'm about to return this printer to the retailer (Amazon).

HP Recommended

I did that too, thinking the Win10 version of the printer driver was missing something.  Then I found a really old post that said to install the Office 2007 version of the printer driver.  Worked like a charm.   The other day, it dawned on me I needed to install the version of the printer driver that matches the version of Office I'm using.  IOW, I run MSOffice 2007 on my Win10 computer.  By installing a 2007 version of the HP3830 driver, I'm getting color printouts.    I would follow all the steps to remove your current printer driver, then go to HP's site to install whichever version of the 3830 printer driver matches the version of MSOffice you're using.

HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is the only thing that worked for me. Wasted about 3 days screwing around with all the different, so-called fixes. Changing the driver to "Microsoft IPP Class Driver" did the trick! Too bad HP or Microsoft couldn't help us out.

HP Recommended

We have followed all the steps outlined by the HP person in this string of conversation. We were successful in printing exactly ONE page in color before all printing went back to black/white.  Spent an entire afternoon uninstalling, reinstalling, working through the steps in the exe file....... all for ONE page of printing in color.  What is the problem with this printer and why can't HP offer a solution that actually works.

Also from HP person:

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button. 

There is no "Print color' option under printing preferences so this solution does not work either.

Has anyone been able to solve this and have the printer function properly ongoing?

HP Recommended

There is no 'print color' option under printing preferences, or anywhere else in printer settings.

HP Recommended

Try putting in a new color cartridge.  My printer just all-of-a-sudden quit printing color; the printer panel showed there was plenty of ink, but yet, wouldn't print in color.  Got a new cartridge, color is back.  Apparently, the ink-level indicator doesn't work anymore.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have HP OfficeJet 3830 printer that won't print in color from my HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 Home.

Can you explain for me in layman terms how to correct this issue....thanks

HP Recommended

See whether you can find all my previous posts about this issue, where I explained the steps to take. 

In short...If you know how to uninstall a printer driver, do that first.  If you know how to install a printer driver, go to HP's website to find and install a Windows 7 driver.  Yes, there is a Windows 7 driver for the HP 3830--that's what I used.

However, eventually, my printer quit printing just color altogether.  When reinstalling the printer driver,  I ended up selecting the Microsoft IPP Class Driver.  Everything now works.

HP Recommended

Thank you for mentioning the Microsoft IPP Class driver!  My 3830 ended up deciding to not print color.  After un/re-installing the print driver, and getting a new color cartridge, I changed to this driver and everything works.  I did learn about the secret menu on this printer which taught me the ink level screen doesn't really work well anymore, which is sad because this printer isn't even two years old yet.  

I know, HP and Microsoft don't seem to really care about helping their customers....kinda like Verizon and CenturyLink.  Seems their main concern is selling their products.   So yes, I appreciate these forums.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.