• post a message
Highlighted
6 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

My Officejet 7740 multi function printer takes far too long to copy. Any ideas

HP Recommended
OfficeJet 7740

From the time I place an item on the glass to the time a copy comes out it's like 30 seconds. Why so.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,558 3,539 164 206
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @EricCurtisAbel

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Slow copy speed" issue. 

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Adjust paper type and copy quality settings from the printer control panel menu to improve copy speed issues.

1. Touch Copy, Copy Document, or Copy Photo on the printer control panel.

2. Touch Settings or the gear icon  to access and change the following settings.

• Paper Type: Copy speed can be impacted if photo paper is selected for a plain paper copy job. Select the type of plain or photo paper for your copies.

For printers with touchscreen displays, open and close the paper tray to display a prompt on the control panel to confirm the paper type that is loaded.

• Tray Selection: Select the paper input tray with the paper being used for your copies.

• Quality: Select a lower copy quality level.

• Draft Mode: Turning on Draft Mode speeds up copying, but reduces quality.

3. Select Save Current Settings or Set as New Defaults to retain the settings for future copy jobs.

4. Depending on the printer, touch Start, or return to the main Copy screen by touching Back, and then touch Start Black, Start Color, or OK to start the copy job.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried your reboot and other suggestions. See video above. This product was slow out of the box. I'm tired of all the bad features on this printer so I thought I'd start sharing the issues. Any other ideas to speed that up?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,558 3,539 164 206
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have sent you a private message with the reset steps, specific to your printer. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation