Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3750 No.[EDIT]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to carry out maintenance when I get the message "The computer is unable to establish two-way communication with the device"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Andreas11

Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases new printer firmware versions with product enhancements or issue fixes. Depending on your printer, apps on the printer control panel might also receive updates. Update firmware and apps on a regular basis to make sure you are getting the most out of your printer. Refer to this link for help.

Try to perform the maintenance.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Andreas11, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I would need a few more details:

What maintenance did you perform on your computer?

How is the printer connected to your computer?

When was the last time your printer worked fine?

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My laptop runs windows 10 64 bit and is fully updated. My printer I acquired recently but could not install it as it required an 8 digit network pin that I did not know at the time how to get. Thus I asked Microsoft to help me install it. I wanted to run a cartridge alignment and discovered that pc and printer could not talk to each other. I removed the device and restarted the pc switched on the printer and reinstalled itself after my selection (in any case there is no other printer connected) and the same problem persists. The printer is HP Deskjet 3750.

HP Recommended

@Andreas11

To connect the printer to your Windows 10 PC, follow the steps below:

Connect the printer to the wireless network

Use WPS to connect the printer to your wireless network.

1. Locate the WPS button on your router, but do not press it yet.

If your router does not support WPS, skip to the next step to connect the printer with the HP Smart app.

2. Turn on the printer. If the printer is in sleep mode, press the Cancel button on the control panel.

3. On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button  for at least 3 seconds or until the wireless light starts to flash.

4. On the router, press and hold the WPS button for 3 to 5 seconds or until it shows that the WPS connection process has started.

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Now, download the full-featured software for the printer and install it from here. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Alternatively, use the HP Smart app to connect the printer to your wireless network.

1. Make sure your computer is connected to your wireless network.

2. On your computer, download and install the HP Smart app from the Microsoft store.

3. Turn on the printer. If the printer is in sleep mode, press the Cancel button on the control panel.

4. Press and hold the Wireless and Cancel buttons until the Wireless light and Power light start to flash. You must complete network setup within 2 hours.

5. On your computer, open HP Smart, and then click the Printer icon .

6. Click Set Up a New Printer, and then click Continue.

HP Smart searches for printers on your wireless network.

7. Select your printer, and then click Continue.

8. When prompted, type the WEP or WPA key (network password).

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password.

9. After the printer connects to your wireless network, click Continue, and then click Exit Setup.

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10) to know how to print from the HP Smart App.

Let me know if this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I used the second recommendation as there is no WPS button on my router. I got as far as step 6 . Hp Smart announces that it found the printer and proceeds to connect it  asking for WI-FI code. I enter the code, then it struggles for a while and  after a while announces that it could not find the printer and gives. up.

The method of usb installation cannot proceed  due to a previous malfunction of an older printer (HP 3920/3940) and since then any usb printer device is not recognised.

HP Recommended

@Andreas11

Connect and print from a computer with Windows 10 or 8.1 using Wi-Fi Direct. Complete the following steps while near the printer.

1. Turn on the printer and make sure ink cartridges are installed and paper is loaded in the tray.

2. Open the Printers list in the Devices settings.

• Windows 10: From the Start menu, click Settings , click Devices, and then click Printers & scanners.

• Windows 8.1: From the Charms menu, click Devices.

3. Click Add a printer or scanner.

4. Click Show Wi-Fi Direct printers if the option displays.

5. Locate the printer with DIRECT in the name (Example: DIRECT-72-HP Officejet Pro 6970), but do not click Add device yet.

6. Go to the printer and confirm it is on and in a ready state. If it entered sleep mode, press the Power button to wake it.

7. Return to the computer and click Add device.

8. If a Enter the WPS PIN for your printer message displays, quickly return to the printer. An 8-digit PIN displays on the control panel or a printout. Enter this PIN within 90 seconds, and then click Next to complete the setup.

NOTE: 

If a Driver is unavailable status displays during the setup, go to 123.hp.com to install a driver.

Enter WPS PIN window when adding a Wi-Fi Direct printer in Windows 10

9. Open the item you want to print, click File, and then click Print.

10. Select your printer from the list of available printers, and then click Print.

NOTE: Try using 12345678 for the 8-digit pin

Let me know if this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I regret to inform that the procedure suggested cannot proceed beyond point 3. The pc displays "HP DJ 3700series PCL-3(Network) Default. App available for this device." and searching produced no additional device. The above printer has its blue light permanently on and receives and executes printing instructions but when I try to carry our maintenance and more specifically cartridge alignment the pc fails to find the printer.  The pc gets information from the printer then prints  a number of data and the bottom line reads "The computer cannot establish  two-way communication with printer."

HP Recommended

@Andreas11

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Download and install the printer software from here

And then try to perform the maintenance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

TEJ I followed the new details religiously. The printer installed and full of hope I attempted to carry out maintenance when I got the error 2213079292 (0x83E8E8FC)

Thus we are back to square one again.  Many thanks for sharing the problem. The printer prints but cannot carry out maintenance.

HP Recommended

@Andreas11

Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases new printer firmware versions with product enhancements or issue fixes. Depending on your printer, apps on the printer control panel might also receive updates. Update firmware and apps on a regular basis to make sure you are getting the most out of your printer. Refer to this link for help.

Try to perform the maintenance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.