Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
5520 e-ONE-IN-ALL Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have done all the troubleshooting that was recommended.  The printer is connected to the network and my computer is also connected but when I try to add the computer's IP address to connect to the computer, it doesn't recognize the IP address.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Wireless Direct is for printing by having a device connect to the printer instead of a network. I would turn the feature off.

That said, here is what to do next:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. While the printer is powered off, remove the power cable from the back of the router for one minute.
  3. When the lights return on the router, turn the printer on.

Now:

• If the printer's IP Address starts with 169.254, the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address from the router. Contact whoever provided you with the router to determine why it is not assigning IP Addresses.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 172, the printer is connected to a guest network. Contact whoever provided you with the router for assistance with disabling the guest network.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 192.168, the printer is connected to a network properly.
  • If the printer's iP Address starts with any other number, the network is being maintained. Contact whoever maintains your network for assistance.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to resolve your issue, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hey @KW49,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having some issues with printing to your Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer. I can help you with that, however I am going to need more clarification first. Please let me know what troubleshooting steps you have performed. Once I know that I will be better able to assist you.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

I turned off my antivirus software. I checked to be sure I am set up as Home Share (I am).  I turned on eprint and was able to print a test page. Because the IP address could not be found, I used the Hostname instead. That got me a little further as it now shows up in my list of devices with a green check but when I try to print it says the printer is not connected. I then updated the address with the IP and it still doesn't recognize it. Do I need to have wireless direct turned on or off?

HP Recommended

Wireless Direct is for printing by having a device connect to the printer instead of a network. I would turn the feature off.

That said, here is what to do next:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. While the printer is powered off, remove the power cable from the back of the router for one minute.
  3. When the lights return on the router, turn the printer on.

Now:

• If the printer's IP Address starts with 169.254, the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address from the router. Contact whoever provided you with the router to determine why it is not assigning IP Addresses.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 172, the printer is connected to a guest network. Contact whoever provided you with the router for assistance with disabling the guest network.
  • If the printer's IP Address starts with 192.168, the printer is connected to a network properly.
  • If the printer's iP Address starts with any other number, the network is being maintained. Contact whoever maintains your network for assistance.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to resolve your issue, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you.  This is very helpful.  I am headed out of town in a little bit and will be back on Sunday.  If I can get everything ready in time to leave, I will try this today otherwise you will know why you didn't hear from me.  By the way, the current address starts with 162.  

HP Recommended

Printer won'i accept that I am connected to wi-fi, 

HP Recommended

I have checked and replaced the inks ,Checked fo paper jams, To no avail no one has answered all the past questions i have 

asked.  I just want to be able to print from my own printer.  I have not received any ink from you. perhaps it was because I changed my email address from rutter527@btinternet.com to the present one!  I bought a lap top 3 years ago and every thing was fine then i was told me this wasn't linked to the wi fi. I buy my own HP ink  Please can you help me to rectify this problem.

HP Recommended

I just need HELP

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem? My printer/scanner (HP Officejet Pro 8600) shows that my wireless network is connected and on. I can print okay, but when I try to scan, it does not recognize the network connection and says that I am not connected. I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing is working! Can anybody help????

HP Recommended

My printer is telling me to go to 123.hp.com for the smart app which I already have. What other scanning software to I need?

I did try this but said it could not connect.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.