Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
office jet pro 6978
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I use photo paper, set it up and it smears  except twice it printed beautiful photos.  The rest of the time it smears and the ink just lays on the paper.   So I know the paper is ok because it printed ok ,  twice and all the rest of the time it  smears with the black ink  having lines across the photo .  The rest of the photo look like blobs.  If I print on regular paper the pictures are fine just not photo quality. I did exactly the same thing when the two times  photos printed fine.  Made sure the printer had photo paper and it said so on the screen.  From the PC  I had photo paper listed.. so I can not figure out why it worked twice but did not 10 times and have wasted a lot of Paper and ink.. testing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @virginial

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

What type of photo paper are you using?

Check the print settings on the MAC, make sure to select the right paper type and size.

Refer to this document to know how to make the changes.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @virginial

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

What type of photo paper are you using?

Check the print settings on the MAC, make sure to select the right paper type and size.

Refer to this document to know how to make the changes.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks With your help It now works

HP Recommended

@virginial

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.