Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5524

My printer suddenly stopped printing black, which means it won't print anything.

I have changed the cartridge.

I've checked the vent with a pin.

I've cleaned the printheads twice. The Print Quality Diagnostic prints all the black text but the Black box in step 3 is empty.

I've tried to align the printer. The resulting report sheet contains only blue and red ink, there is no black. My printer can't therefore scan it.

I am now stuck. 

What can I try next? And why is the Print Quality Diagnostic report printing black text but not the 3 graduated black stripes?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@stuck_emma73 Greetings from the HP Community!

I recommend you try the copier as a stand-alone device without a computer and check if that works in color,:

• If it doesn't work, this could be a hardware issue,
  • however, if the copier works and yet, the print out from the computer doesn't work in color, you can try the below steps:
  • Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks so much for this detailed message. I tried to photocopy a book cover and it has missed out all the black ink.  I guess this means it is a hardware issue? What does this mean for next steps?

HP Recommended

To clarify - it has printed everything else except the black. 

HP Recommended

@stuck_emma73

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

When i enter the number that i believe to be the Serial Number, i can't see an option for "show options"

emma

HP Recommended

can i send you a photo of the label on the bottom of my printer? or is that not allowed.

HP Recommended

@stuck_emma73, Welcome to HP Support Community!

You are not allowed to share the serial number or any personal details on the post. I am sharing the contact number via a private message.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.