Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmc817
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My printer will not print and I have asked several times to speak with a live technician

HP Office Jet All-In-One 4630
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My printer will not print and I need help, but am not able to speak with a live HP technician. Can anyone help me?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
2,157 2,157 98 175
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My printer will not print and I have asked several times to speak with a live technician

@dmc817 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to print.

Do not worry I will try to fix the issue.

Solution one: Remove the black ink cartridge

If you just set up your printer and you notice that black ink is missing or faded on your printouts, follow these steps to remove the black ink cartridge and print only with the tri-color ink cartridge. This allows the printer to operate in single-cartridge mode, which creates composite black from the tri-color ink cartridge.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Locate the slots on the left and right sides of the printer.

Image: Locate the slots on the sides of the printer

3. Slide your fingers into the two slots, and then gently lift up to open the ink cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the ink cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door

4. To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

5. Pull up on the black ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the ink cartridge

6. Set the black ink cartridge aside, with the nozzles facing up.

Image: Ink cartridge with nozzles facing up

7. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Image: Close the ink cartridge access door.

8. Try the print job again.

• If the printer operates correctly in single-cartridge mode, let the black ink cartridge rest with the nozzles facing up for several hours or overnight, reinstall it, and then try to print again. If you are satisfied with the print quality, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer does not operate correctly in single-cartridge mode or you are not satisfied with the print quality after you reinstall the black ink cartridge, continue to the next solution.

Solution two: Make sure you are using genuine HP ink

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to the HP anti-counterfeit webpage (in English).

Purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies from the HP Store or local retailers.

HP Officejet 4630, 4631, 4632, 4634, 4635, 4636, and 4639 printers

Ink cartridge description North America

Black ink cartridge

HP 61 Black

HP 301 Black

HP 122 Black

HP 802 Black

Color ink cartridge

HP 61 Tri-color

HP 301 Tri-color

HP 122 Tri-color

HP 802 Tri-color

Solution three: Check estimated ink levels, and then replace any low or empty ink cartridges

Low ink can contribute to poor print quality. Follow these steps to check the ink levels, and then replace any low or empty ink cartridges.

Step 1: Check estimated ink levels

NOTE: 

Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low ink levels, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace ink cartridges until print quality becomes unacceptable.

1. On the printer control panel, press the Home button  to open the Home screen.

2. Press the Down Arrow  to select Ink Levels, and then press OK. The control panel displays the estimated ink levels.
    1. Color ink level indicator

2. Black ink level indicator

• If none of the ink cartridges are low on ink, you do not need to replace them yet. Continue to the next solution.

• If any of the ink cartridges are low on ink, continue to the next step to replace them.

Step 2: Replace any low or empty ink cartridges

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Locate the slots on the left and right sides of the printer.

Image: Locate the slots on the sides of the printer.

3. Slide your fingers into the two slots, and then gently lift up to open the ink cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the ink cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.

4. To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

5. Pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the ink cartridge

6. Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging, and then pull the tab to remove the plastic tape.

Image: Remove the plastic tape.

7. Hold the ink cartridge at a slight upward angle with the ink cartridge contacts facing the rear of the printer, and then slide the ink cartridge into the empty slot.

8. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

NOTE: 

Insert the color ink cartridge in the slot on the left. Insert the black ink cartridge in the slot on the right.

1. Insert the ink cartridge

2. Close the lid

3. The color ink cartridge is on the left, and the black ink cartridge is on the right

9. Repeat the previous steps to install the other ink cartridge, if necessary.

10. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Image: Close the ink cartridge access door.

11. Follow the instructions on the control panel to start the ink cartridge alignment. The printer aligns the ink cartridges, and then prints an alignment page.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Solution four: Use an automated tool to clean the printhead

Follow these steps to run an automated tool to clean the ink cartridges.

NOTE: 

You might need to clean the printhead several times for optimal print quality.

NOTE: 

To avoid issues that require cleaning, always turn the printer off with the Power button.

1. Load letter or A4, unused, plain white paper into the paper tray.

2. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow  to select Tools, and then press OK.

3. Press the Down Arrow  to select Clean Printhead, and then press OK. The printer cleans the printhead, and then prints a printhead test page.

Image: Example of the printhead test page without defects

4. Review the print quality on the printhead test page.

Please refer to the following link to more troubleshoot the issue.

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Good luck.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation