Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello, a few years ago I joined the printer chat community, my username is scotflute and I have used the once inexpensive printer J1000 series which happily worked well for me with only the black cartridge installed... no... not because I wanted to save money, but because your printer works for a very rare yet grateful community of silver and gold hand engravers. Your HP ink Black specifically when used to print out my designs onto a transparent sheet gives a very clear result and importantly it will transfer the image from the printed page onto a silver flat object, giving me a good image that does not rub off, looks crisp under the microscope and since my designs are small, allows me to engrave by hand.

Now .... very important.... if I print with colour cartridge installed, a rich black mix results, and even this very slight doping of the colour inks totally stops the resulting image from releasing and transferring to the silver workpiece. For my transfer to work I must have only the black cartridge installed.

Well couple of years ago the very kind and helpful HP printer expert advised me to remove the colour cartridge from my J1000 deskjet and bingo! the transfers work excellent!  But now is it true that HP actually is looking online as I try to use my printer and disallows it remotely from printing unless both cartridges are seen to be installed?  I am desparate to use black only and will gladly pay HP a fee to do this if that is what is required? Help please some one, how can I get back to work again

Best wishes

scotflute

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

My serial number of the hp deskjet 1000 series printer that once worked happily on black cartridge only is:

[edit]

HP Recommended

@scotflute

The phone number provided is from a SPAMMER  It is NOT an HP support number.

Cheers 

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, Mod, if you receive this?  I've been having a very difficult time getting  myself registered once more, it has taken me many tries, hoping it is now working? I was in this community in 2014 and  lost my password etc

Something went wrong in getting my printer serial number written down it is:

CN28K27QWB

Printer is HP Deskjet   1000 series which worked happily with only the black cartridge, but now no longer it appears... this black only is essential for my specialized needs of design transfer from transparency print to my workpiece of silver read for hand engraving. I am a maker of historical wood flutes of the 18th century style with silver and gold keys. I am also a time served toolmaker and have a Phd in Engineering from Cambridge UK. I am now an old dude nearly 82 , a Scotsman, living in N California.

Basically: Can I once more get my present printer working again on black ink only? If not, does HP sell a modest priced inkjet printer that will allow only Black cartridge operation ... the contamination of rich black mixes from the color cartridge renders the transfer completely unworkable?  I use the printer very infrequently, yet it is essential to my engraving work.

Thank you Mod!

best

Scotflute

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.