Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8725
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Officejetpro 8725, has recently stopped printing from office 365, it will print an office template but not a saved doucument. I can print to mt canon proo 100s and to my HP Designjet T120.

I can print via photshop and lightroom, if I go to manage printer I can't print the test page. I can also print to the machine via my laptop. Juat my desktop.

Aidyjreeve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@aidyjreeve,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here. 

I recommend you create a new user account on the computer and check if it helps.

Follow the steps in the below article to create a new user account.

http://hp.care/2jNPZJV

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@aidyjreeve,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that you are having issues while printing from your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution. 

Does this issue specific to any one particular application like Office 365? Or does this happen while printing any type of documents like printing the PDF files or the other online documents? Let me know!

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

Did you check if the right printer is selected before printing?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software related issues. Please use this link to help you with that information: http://hp.care/2biN2XE 

I would suggest a clean install to try and fix this issue. Here are the steps:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8720/OJ8720_Full_WebPack_40.11.1148.exe to install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you could try to install the printer using Windows built-in drivers: 

Uninstall the printer software and install the printer with windows built in drivers.

Watch this YouTube video to uninstall the printer software.

You can also refer this document for more steps.

Install the printer with windows builtin driver.

You can refer this YouTube video to install the printer.

For more steps refer this HP Document and follow step number 3.

If you have followed these steps and still having issues printing from Microsoft Office, then this could be an issue with the Office application. 

cannot print from office applications, the following fix works:

Go to your C:\Windows\Temp folder, right click and choose properties, choose Security Tab, choose Edit, Choose or add "Authenticated Users", choose check name, choose OK, choose "Full Control" for authenticated users, choose "Apply", choose OK. Then repeat these steps for C:\Temp folder. Then test and it should work fine. If not, repeat the above steps and choose "Users", then test. NOTE: Authenticated Users worked for me.

If the issue persists, Let’s try to fix the issue by the steps below:

• Go to Control Panel – Programs and features
  • Right-click on Microsoft Office 2007 and choose the option “Repair”
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair and then try to print.

Alternatively, try the steps mentioned in the below-mentioned links:

Link 1: http://hp.care/2gVFAoH

Link 2: http://hp.care/2gM4wiC

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thanks for the ideas.

It's Just 365 applications, photoshop lightroom are all fine as are as are PDF's 

I get the impression that it thinks it has printed there are no files stacked up in the print spooler. 

Printer is wireless, I have tried USB and a new driver it's the same.

If I print from word 2016 it print's fine it's word 365 tht's the problem, however if I open a template in word that prints OK.

Adrian Reeve 

HP Recommended

@aidyjreeve,

Since it's printing from other programs, this can be an issue with printer permission. Try the below mentioned solution and check if that helps.

Solution 1:

Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.

Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Restart your computer and then try to print.

Solution 2:

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type %temp% and press ok.

Note what the full path is  (in my case, it was "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp")

Go up one level in the directory tree

Right click on the temp directory (in my case, "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local"), and select "Properties"

Go to the Security tab, and select "Users" from the group or user names

Click "Edit"

Select Users, then check the box by "Full Control"

Click "Apply"

You may get a whole bunch of error messages about inheritance, just hold down the Enter key until they all go away.

Click "Cancel" a couple of times to dismiss the properties boxes

Go forth and print from any application and check.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Sadly still not working, If I save as a PDF I can print. I have tried all of the other word formats, it won't print.  If I open the printer in the control panel, I can print a test page either.

Windows trouble shooter reports no problems.

My temp file is on the D drive, not C, i moved becasue of space, could this be the issue?

Adrian Reeve

HP Recommended

@aidyjreeve,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here. 

I recommend you create a new user account on the computer and check if it helps.

Follow the steps in the below article to create a new user account.

http://hp.care/2jNPZJV

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, yes this has worked I can print form a new account, any further ideas as to why my normal account wont print?

Adrian

HP Recommended

@aidyjreeve,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

I would like to inform you that there might be some issue with the user account and which is not allowing the printer to print. I recommend you try setting your user account again and check.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there. Please forgive me for hi-jacking a fairly old post, but, can you please tell me what you meant when you said, 'I recommend you try setting your user account again"??

What is it we have to DO in order to "set" our user accounts?

Thanks for any details.

Michael

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
HP Recommended

Somebody (a volunteer moderator, I think) suggested creating a new user account as the cure for Windows 10 PC's not being able to print Office 365 documents on a LaserJet 4000.

Wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose (of getting a REAL fix).....by virtue of blocking the "new" user from having access to all your/my "old" user documents that I might want to print???

(Not to mention "burning up" another one of my FIVE included Office 365 sign-ons when I go to log in with the new user account?)

Thoughts? Thanks.

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.