Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just purchased a netbook running Windows 7 Starter (32 bit), and I am trying to install my networked (hardwired) HP OfficeJet L7555 printer using the OJProL7X00_Full_14 download.

My printer is detected on my network, and everything looks like it is installing fine and then it gives me a big red X, and tell me that it can not install the printer at this time, but it can put an "Add a Device" icon to my desktop. I did this and have since tried using it with no luck.

I have disabled my firewalls and virus scanners but still no luck.

Can anyone help me???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Fixed.  What a pain after several months.  After brainstorming why I had two computers that worked wirelessly and two did not, the only difference I could think of between them is the two that didn't work had fresh reinstalls of Windows 7 x64 whereas the other two have been going on over a year.  Made me think one of the updates, possibly Win 7 SP1 might be the culprit.

So I reinstalled Windows yet again on one of the two that stopped at 50% of the HP 7780 install.  This time, though, I only loaded basic Win 7 x64 and various chipset, audio, video, LAN, etc drivers.  I did NOT let any WIndows updates occur.  Then I installed the latest Full Version 14 of the 7780 software.  Worked like a champ - found my wireless printer (which it always did) and then continued the install past 50% to completion.  Once done, I finished loading all of the WIndows updates and other software like Office, Nero, games, etc.  Still works.  Worked on the other problem computer as well.

Load HP software before you let any Windows updates occur.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi thomaswichem,

Another option you have is to turn off all the start up programs. Below are the instructions to turn them off.

Step one: Clear temporary files and folders

Follow these steps to remove temporary files and folders. It is important that you complete this step to make sure that the problem files are not reinstalled.

1. Click the Windows icon ( ), type %temp% in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter .
  2. Click Organize , and then click Select All .
  3. Click Organize again, and then click Delete .

CAUTION:An 'Access is denied ' error might display. If you receive this error, close the error message, and then continue deleting the remaining files.

Step two: Turn off Terminate and Stay Resident programs (TSRs) and other background programs

When the computer is on, the Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) software programs load. Occasionally, TSRs prevent the product software from loading, and the software does not install correctly. In Microsoft Windows 7, the MSCONFIG utility prevents TSR programs and services from starting.

1. Click the Windows icon ( ).
  2. In the Search programs and files box, type msconfig , and then press Enter . The System Configuration Utility window opens.
  3. Click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup .
  4. Remove the check mark next to Load startup items .
  5. Click the Services tab, and then click the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
  6. Click Disable all .
  7. Click Apply , and then click Close .

NOTE:If an 'Access is denied ' error message displays on the computer when you make changes, click OK , and then continue. The message does not prevent you from making changes.

1. Select Restart to apply the changes to the computer.

NOTE:After the computer restarts and the desktop displays, you might get a prompt stating 'You’ve used system configuration utility to make changes to the way windows starts .' To prevent this message from displaying again, select Do not show this message again .

Step three: Reinstall the HP software

If you still have the CD that came with your HP printer, you can insert the CD into your CD drive and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software. However, HP recommends downloading and installing the software to make sure you have the latest version. Follow these steps to download and install the software.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
  2. Turn the product on.
  3. Browse to the Get Software and Drivers page: Get Software and Drivers
  4. Check the instructions on the page, and then click the Plus sign (+) next to the correct heading for additional instructions:

If prompted to enter your product in the window.

1.Type your product number in the window.

2.Click Next . If necessary click your model in a list of similar products.

3.Click Software and Driver Downloads .

4.Click the drop-down arrow ( ), and then click your operating system.

5.Continue to the next step.

If prompted to select your operating system .

1. Click the drop-down arrow ( ), and then click your operating system.
  2. Click Next .
  3. Continue to the next step.
  4. Click the Plus sign ( ) next to Driver , and then click the driver that you want to download.
  5. Read through the minimum system requirements and additional instructions. You can also click View directions ( ) for complete download instructions.
  6. Click Download . This option allows you to install the software at any time after the download completes.
  7. Click Save , and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
  8. Click Save . The software downloads to your computer.

Hint: Make a note of the place that you saved the file, in case you want to install it at a later time.

Step four: Enable startup programs

Follow these steps to enable the startup programs you turned off in the previous steps.

1. Click the Windows icon ( ), type msconfig in the Search programs and files text box, and then press Enter . The System Configuration Utility window opens.
  2. Click the General tab, and then click Normal startup .
  3. Click the Services tab, and then click the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
  4. Click Apply , and then click Close .
  5. Click Restart to apply the changes the next time the computer starts.
I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my L7780.  I have tried all of these solutions but no luck.  I have also tried installing via ethernet and USB (L3 or L4 uninstalling and file/service/registry cleaning between each attempt) but I get the same problem.  The install hangs at 50%. 

Of note, when it gets to 50%, the printer will wake up with a small noise and the display comes to life if it was previously black., so it seems like some communication is happening.  I have also factory reset my printer and reset it up on the wireless network just in case.

If I don't try to install solution center and just add the printer under Windows 7 x64, I can print just fine - no scanner though.  I want solution center functionality so I would really like an answer.

Of note - my son's computer which I had installed version 13 and then upgraded to 14 several months ago works fine.  I did a clean W7 install on my office computer and laptop and can get neither one of them to install the printer.  I've also tried version 13 on my office/laptop computers with no luck.

ANy help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Fixed.  What a pain after several months.  After brainstorming why I had two computers that worked wirelessly and two did not, the only difference I could think of between them is the two that didn't work had fresh reinstalls of Windows 7 x64 whereas the other two have been going on over a year.  Made me think one of the updates, possibly Win 7 SP1 might be the culprit.

So I reinstalled Windows yet again on one of the two that stopped at 50% of the HP 7780 install.  This time, though, I only loaded basic Win 7 x64 and various chipset, audio, video, LAN, etc drivers.  I did NOT let any WIndows updates occur.  Then I installed the latest Full Version 14 of the 7780 software.  Worked like a champ - found my wireless printer (which it always did) and then continued the install past 50% to completion.  Once done, I finished loading all of the WIndows updates and other software like Office, Nero, games, etc.  Still works.  Worked on the other problem computer as well.

Load HP software before you let any Windows updates occur.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

I've got the same problem w/ 7780 install. But I'd really like to avoid reinstalling Windows. GIven that nearly a year has passed since this post, are there any other solutions to this problem?

HP Recommended

Hi kgardner54,

What is the operating system on your computer?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

i have tried all of these suggestions (including but not limited to:  uninstalled everything hp, disabling pctools,using disk, downloads from hp site including scrubber) short of reintalling windows 7  Have had the computer for a week still cant print

HP Recommended

@kipkipple, sorry that you are having this issue. If you would like a better understanding or want to talk with a rep, you can contact HP Support (1800-474-6836). 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

wanted to charge me $25. AND NOT HAPPY WASTED TWO DAYS I NEED TO WORK

HP Recommended

Hi kipkipple, 

What printer do you have?

Is the printer connected to your network with a valid IP address (Example: 192.169.1.100)?

If so, can you type the printers IP address into the address bar of Internet Explorer and are able to veiw information about the printer or do you get a unable to locate or redirects you to a search website?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.