Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP3636
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer has previously worked fine, booting itself out of sleep mode when a print job is added from one of the 3 devices using it in the house.  Since an update about 6 weeks ago it will not wake up.   So to print we have to come upstairs, and manually waken it before sending a print.   This is weird as when printing off mobile device it wakes up fine?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Dodge1or2

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try setting a manual IP to resolve the issue -

To set a manual IP and try the steps below:

--->Press the Wireless button ( ) and Information button ( ) at the same time to print the network configuration page,
--->print a network configuration report
---->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP from the network configuration page 
--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 
--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply
--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  
--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15 min

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thought I would give it a go..... but got lost in your instructions....

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply       (this isn't in the menu of the EWS)
--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.                (found this in the Network Address IPv4 tab)

Made the adjustments as described....

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15 min    (this is greyed out and cannot be adjusted)

Printer still falls asleep and needs to be manually wakened to print....

HP Recommended

We would have to connect the printer to TCP/IP port- follow the below instructions-

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Keep me posted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.