Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New Black Cartidge won't print

HP Envy 5020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got the message that the ink was running low and to change my cartridge (black). I did this. The test alignment page printed with no black on it and on the second scan it set the print to default. 

I have tried cleaning the cartridge using the software and checked for any tape (there was none). I suspect the cartridge is faultly. I reinserted the previous cartridge and apart from complaining that it was depleted, it works (for the time being) and the alignment page prints and scans fine.

The new cartridge shows as full in the HP app.

How do I get a new cartridge quickly, before the old one runs out? The only way to contact you seems to be through this forum, which I have had to register for today.....

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,294 1,991
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @sjmmarsh, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues printing in black color from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Have you installed full feature printer software?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

Have you tried printing using a different ink cartridge?

Are you using refilled ink cartridges or HP genuine ink cartridges?

Please provide the operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better.

Replace low or empty ink cartridges on your printer.

Change the print settings to print with black ink only.

You might need to change your print settings every time you print.
   NOTE:
These steps vary by software, program, and operating system.
In your software application, click Print.
Select your printer from the list of available printers.
Click the option that opens the Printer Properties dialog box. Depending on your software application, this option might be called Printer Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.
Click the Features tab, click the Grayscale drop-down menu, and then click Black Ink Only.
   NOTE:
To use even less black ink, select the Draft setting.
Click OK, and then click Print to start the print job.

If you are able to make a black copy from your printer uninstall the printer software from root level and install the latest full feature software for your printer.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link: https://hp.care/2I5XnXI

Refer this article to further troubleshoot color or black ink not printing from your printer. Link: https://hp.care/2IBQ6jO

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mr Robot:

Did you make any changes to your printer? No, other than replacing the cartridge

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer? Yes

Have you installed full feature printer software? Yes

Have you tried printing from a different application? Yes - Word, the installation/alignment  program on the printer and the HP App - none print in black with this cartridge

Have you tried printing using a different ink cartridge? Yes, the old one works fine.

Are you using refilled ink cartridges or HP genuine ink cartridges? Instant Ink sent by HP.

Please provide the operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better. windows 10 64 bit

Replace low or empty ink cartridges on your printer. This is what I did and it caused the problem

Change the print settings to print with black ink only. Blank paper comes out.

It looks like the cartridge is faulty and I need a replacement.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,294 1,991
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sjmmarsh, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try replacing the cartridge installed on your printer as it could be faulty.

Please contact HP support for service options and get the ink cartridges replaced under warranty.

Link to contact HP.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation