Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Opened a brand new (still sealed) HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 and began the setup procedure.  Continually (over the last 2 hours) receive one of the following errors:

1) Use the setup cartridges that came with the printer (I am using them)

2) The printhead is missing or is not installed correctly (it is installed correctly, and it is brand new)

This is incredibly frustrating, as this printer was a Christmas gift and now, out of the box, it isn't working.  Please advise.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@cb2020 

I am not sure how we can help.

The printer might be "new" to you and it may have been sealed in the box - but it is likely at least two years old and maybe older - the product was introduced in mid-2016.

Really nice printer series - I had an 8740 as a loaner that I really liked -  it, too, is part of the "no longer available" 8700 series.

Although this particular model was not the most expensive in the series - it might be worth taking the printer to a local printer repair technician to see if he can get it working.

OR

The setup cartridges may no longer be viable (usable) - unfortunately, these are not a retail item.  If you could convince HP to send you a new set, that might solve the problem.  I would guess that in spite of the printer being "just out of box" that there would be a fee for service since the product is no longer under warranty. 

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

OR

Again - if you can get the printer to a licenses printer tech, he could perhaps provide the ink / means to get the printer working with whatever resources are available to him.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@cb2020 

I am not sure how we can help.

The printer might be "new" to you and it may have been sealed in the box - but it is likely at least two years old and maybe older - the product was introduced in mid-2016.

Really nice printer series - I had an 8740 as a loaner that I really liked -  it, too, is part of the "no longer available" 8700 series.

Although this particular model was not the most expensive in the series - it might be worth taking the printer to a local printer repair technician to see if he can get it working.

OR

The setup cartridges may no longer be viable (usable) - unfortunately, these are not a retail item.  If you could convince HP to send you a new set, that might solve the problem.  I would guess that in spite of the printer being "just out of box" that there would be a fee for service since the product is no longer under warranty. 

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

OR

Again - if you can get the printer to a licenses printer tech, he could perhaps provide the ink / means to get the printer working with whatever resources are available to him.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur Thank you for the response and detailed information.  I have been chatting with BestBuy for the last hour trying to see if there is anything that they can do.  I have also looked up replacement printheads online.  Unfortunately, they appear to be more costly than the printer was in the first place.  I never knew that a printer could have a shelf-life in the box.  Pretty disappointing.  I am grateful for your response though.  Thanks for trying to help!

HP Recommended

@cb2020 

You are welcome.

Random Discussion

Printers are mostly mechanical, a bit of ink, with a little intelligence built in.  The mechanics and the stored data that wakes up the printer and tells it, well, that it is a printer, are likely just fine.  It is the dependency on the ink system that might get into trouble just sitting around in a box.  All things equal, ink gets old - if nothing else, ink can indeed "expire".  It is also possible, the box was not in a climate controlled area (it doesn't matter whether that is the case, this is just a random thought on the subject).  For example, if the box was stored in the garage, for example, this is not the same thing as storing the box in a closet in your house where the environment is better controlled for hot / cold / humidity.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.