Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Have tried to setup this printer with wireless setup wizard on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and none of them can detect this printer on the same network. Manually input the IP address to the wizard does not work too.

I also changed this printer IP from DHCP to static, same thing.

The only way it can detect the printer is via windows "Add a device" where it pops up a list of devices in which 2 printers named with "Direct-*-4650". Not sure which one to choose. Choose anyone of them will enable you to connect to that printer one time. Next time, this printer can not print anymore.

One observation is for Officejet 4650, it can not be pinged; unlike my other Deskjet 3050A, its IP is pingable.

Run printer doctor tool too and it just hangs and sucks CPU forever without getting anything back. What a joking tool.

Please help me out if possible.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just get back to the issue with the solution. After working with HP support, we found out the root cause. At my home I used TP-Link powerline extensions to basic wireless network, and end up with 4 more wireless relay networks that are all on the same subnet and masks. Devices at my home are connected to different wireless networks per locations and they have no problem to connect to each other.

However, this 4650 printer, if setup on a non-base network that directly connected to router, it will be unreachable. It only can be reachable from base network; and all devices on other networks can reach it after that. Another printer, HP 3040A, has no such issue and can be setup on any network.

Seems a limitation of 4650 printer!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@NeutronChen, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that your HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer does not get detected on the wireless network.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Windows)

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I have done the steps in the link you attached, and does not help at all. A few highlights from my initial post that might hint something:

1. As I mentioned, use windows "add device" it can detect the printer one time with wierd name prefixed with "direct-*4650". I can print too, but this printer will dysfunctional after a while or after reboot. However, this means printer is connected to network, and just HP printer installation wizard is unable to detect it.

2. The printer IP is not pingable though. Is it right behavior?

3. Same behavior is present with both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 servers

thanks & regards

HP Recommended

@NeutronChen, thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you get the printer listed as "direct-*4650" on the network.

This issue could occur if the wi-fi direct option is turned on on your printer.

Please follow the steps to turn off the wi-fi direct option: 

1. From the printer control panel, touch (Wi-Fi Direct).

2. Touch ( Settings ), and then touch to turn on Wi-Fi Direct.

3. Touch ( Back ). The Wi-Fi Direct Details menu appears with the Wi-Fi Direct name and password.

Also, you may check the wi-fi direct printing by visiting the link: http://hp.care/2gwjvgv

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

THanks for the kinds support and detailed response on this issue.

Now I turned off wifi direct.

still no wifi detection on this printer.

what should I do next?

thanks

HP Recommended

Hello @NeutronChen,

Appreciate your efforts so far. I would like to jump in with a suggestion. 

First off, I believe the printer in question is Officejet 4650 and not the Officejet 6540 as the post heading suggests. I could not find the printer details for Officejet 6540 and hence I am assuming your printer is Officejet 4650. Follow the steps below to connect the printer to the wireless network:

• On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon. The Wireless screen displays.
  • Touch the "Settings" icon (Gear icon).
  • Touch "Wireless Setup Wizard", then follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.
  • Check http://hp.care/2fD49uz for detailed steps.

Once the printer is connected to the wireless network, click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61232/mp-147818-1/OJ4650_Basicx64_72.exe to install the printer drivers on your computer.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Thank you and have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi DVotex,

You are correct it is 4650.

I have gone through all these steps. I have no problem to setup wireless from printer control screen. However, when installing printer driver, it can not locate the printer. I have tried following ways to identify the printer:

1. Auto detection from HP printer driver, it can not find

2. Input the printer IP directly, no help

3. Input the printer Name as displayed in control screen

When I use windows "add device" action, it can identify the printer as named "direct-*4650*" and it works for short time to print some paper. However, HP driver totally is unable to identify and install the printer for me.

I have followed instruction to disable direct wireless, and it does not help to detect the printer when installing HP driver.

Thanks & Regards

HP Recommended

Hi@NeutronChen,

Thanks for the responding.

If you are able to connect the printer wirelessly to the router.

I request you to capture the IP address and ping the IP address in command prompt from PC and check if that shows any losses.

Follow the steps to do the ping test and check if it shows any packet losses.

• Move the mouse to the right-hand corner of the screen to make the vertical menu bar (charm bar) appear. Click Search.
  • Type “cmd” in the search bar and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • Click cmd found in the search results for Programs.
  • A black box with a flashing cursor will open; this is the Command Prompt. Type “ping” and then hit the Space bar on your keyboard.
  • Type in the address you’d like to ping and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard. Wait for the ping results.

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

the problem is I can not ping the printer IP, though the printer did get the IP on the same network. THat's why I have the question in upstair if the printer IP is supposed to be pingable. I have another HP printer 3040A on the same network and it can be pinged and detected and setup properly. That's why I suspect this 4650 printer has defect.

HP Recommended

@NeutronChen, thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue has still not resolved.

This could be a hardware issue with the unit.

Please contact HP Phone Support at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.