chickpea Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New HPEnvy7640 Printer consistently showing offline on New HPEnvyx360 when connected & both online

HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My New HP Envy 7640 Printer is consistently showing offline on my New HP Envy x360 when connected & both show that they are online on the same network with excellent connection. Essentially, if I trouble shoot enough times and turn printer on and off and restart laptop, I will get it to connect, however I shouldn't have to do this every time I want to print something. 

Since the printer was under warranty I spoke to an HP representative and after trouble shooting the problem still continued, I received a new printer in the mail this past weekend. In testing the new printer before returning the old one, I am experiencing the same issue. Yesterday I set up the new printer by removing all old software and info, and reinstalling the full package via the HP download page. Printing spool was deleted and restarted. Computer was restarted. Printing worked fine. 

Today, a moment ago I went to print something, and the printer, which is on and not in sleep mode, which is plugged into an outlet, and is connected to the same wifi network and IP address with excellent connection, and the printer is showing offline on my computer. 

I will call an HP Rep again and have them remote into my computer to trouble shoot AGAIN, but does anyone else have this issue? And if so was there a solution found to make the printer work consistently without having to trouble shoot or turn off and on/restart each and every time?

I only want this for wireless printing as that is the entire reason I have it. 

2 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15195 1001 1651
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New HPEnvy7640 Printer consistently showing offline on New HPEnvyx360 when connected & both online

Hi @chickpea,

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are experiencing printer offline issues. I will certainly do my best to help you!

Let’s start by assigning a static IP address to the printer. Here are the steps:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says, “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says, “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
  • Restart the printer and then router once done.

Once done, perform a clean install on the printer as suggested below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/easystart/HPEasyStart_6_5_3442_26.exe to download and install the software.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
chickpea Top Student
Top Student
4 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

I have followed all of the steps you outlined, unfortunately I am unable to remove the drivers and have not been able to move on from that step. I keep getting an error stating that the printer is in use. The printer isnot in use, the files have all been deleted, there are no projects left unprinted, the printer itself has been removed, and the task manager does not show any HP Envy printer processes going on. How do I continue?

Printer Trouble Shoot Error Removing Driver Package Error.JPGPrinter Trouble Shoot Error Removing Driver.JPG

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation