Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3634
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I installed the printer, and it printed out the test page.  When I try to print anything else, it shows up in the print queue for a few seconds, and then disappears - as if it has been printed.  I checked HP's site for the lastest driver and installed that.  Still no good.  I downloaded the print doctor and ran that.  It thinks that the printer is fine but it will not print the first test page, so the printer doctor tells me it's a software issue and to uninstsall and reinstall.  I have done this several times.  I tried installing it using the USB cable and by a wireless connection.  Neither works.  Sometimes, the installation software doesn't recognize that the printer is connected by USB at all, and will not let me proceed until I plug it in (even though it is plugged in).  I printed out the diagnostic results, and no problems were found.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Lots of thanks to both of you for trying.  However, none of the solutions worked, so I broke down and let HP take over the computer to get it installed.  It still took him over an hour, and numerous installs and removals to get it working.  I wish I could tell you I paid attention the whole time and know exactly what he did, but I didn't.  Valiant effort on your behalf, though.  Thanks again!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@dria283

I dislike asking you to reinstall yet again.

This time, though, I want you to check and remove any "bits" that might have been left over in the Device Manager.

Best to use Wireless, if your home network is good.

Network Notes

If your router supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bandwidths:

• Log into the router, check, and make sure the router is broadcasting on both bandwidths
  • Name the SSID for the 2.4GHz with a different name from the SSID name used on the 5GHz bandwidth

NOTE:  This printer can only supports (can connec to) 2.4GHz.  

• If it is still connected, disconnect the USB cable between the computer and the printer.
  • To reduce interference, keep old phone sets, other Wireless devices (TVs and such) away from the printer and computer at least while you are installing the printer software.

Hint:  For best results, do not ignore the suggested Restart sequences.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software

If the software is already installed and you want (need) to uninstall it:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, click, and Uninstall the software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

If printer software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager

After uninstalling the software and the computer Restart, if the printer is still lurking about in the Device Manager, remove it.

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

If any printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Expand category Imaging Devices

If any printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

Printer Software - Installation

NOTE

• If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.
  • Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

Download, save, and install the Full Feature Software for your Operating System version

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Video help

NOTE:  Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)

Open the printer Software and Drivers page >

Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open the printer support Homepage >

Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

Firmware

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (when provided) all instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  Firmware is normally updated after the printer software is installed / functional.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP DeskJet 3634 All-in-One Printer

What the printer can do:

Printer Specifications for HP DeskJet 3630, 4720 Printers

What the printer and the software can do:

User Guide

What the printer software can do (How to Print):

How-to > topic Print > subject list Instructions & Settings

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, Dragon-fur, it still does not work.  Now here's the really strange part.  If I try to print a test sheet from the printer properties, nothing.  If I print it from the network settings, in the HP Printer Assistant, the test page prints.  Again, everything says that it is connected, and ready to print.  Any other ideas?? (Before I start re-enacting Office Space with this thing!)

Edit - I can also use the  mobile app and print through that... just not through the computer.

HP Recommended

@dria283

I strongly suspect I have missed something.

On the other hand, it is not supposed to be this difficult.

• Bring home printer, or bring it in from the porch if it was delivered to you.
  • Prepare network - log into Router and assign a static IP for the printer, for example.
  • Unpack, install printer hardware according to instructions:  First Time Printer Setup
  • Keep printer and router separated by at least three feet (one meter) and preferably in the same room (or at least not behind metal cabinets, walls with metal pipes, too many other E-devices...)
  • Download-save-install  Full Feature Software 
  • Restart computer and log in.
  • Consider installing Firmware (usually a good idea if the printer was sitting on a shelf before it was sold).
  • Restart computer and log in.

Poof - Printer works.  Life is good.

Rats.  Time to call in an actual printer Expert.  

@ShlomiL 

This little printer is stubborn.   What have I missed?  Thanks in Advance!

HP DeskJet 3634 All-in-One Printer

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

A such may happen due to a corrupted user profile and any permissions related problem, please try below steps and let me know if that may make any difference:

1. Click the Start menu and type CMD.
  2. From the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  3. Copy the following command, right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter:
    icacls "C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS" /grant users:(OI)(CI)F /T
  4. You should see a response like the following example:
    processed file: C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
    Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
  5. Restart your computer and try printing.

May you see any difference or is the same response persists?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL

Ah, permissions.  Missed it.

Brilliant!

Thanks, friend.

Happy 2019!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I did get the exact message that you used as an example.  I restarted the computer, opened a file, hit "print", and it said it was "accessing the printer" and I got hopeful, but it still didn't print.  I really appreciate you guys trying to help me.  Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@dria283

Rats.  (Folksy saying that means, "So disappointing and frustrating".)

If return is not an option (and, unless @ShlomiL can provide any more help, it is beginning to sound like a good idea), contact HP Technical Support.

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information here).
  • In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.
  • Chat is not available in every region.

In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• USA / Canada: HP posts your regional contact information after you submit an online case.  Use the serial number of the device to submit the case to HP.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

1. Submit information / case online: HP Customer Support
  2. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Contact HP Tech Support on your Browser

Open Browser to HP Technical Support

Select Contact Support or Business Support

• Follow the prompts.

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

Option:  HP Agent Response on the Community Site

You can choose to wait for an HP Agent to respond to your request on the community.

The following applies to HP agent response on our community:

• An HP agent will always post back here before contacting you privately.
  • Agents are identified by the "HP" icon  next to the Profile ID avatar.
  • HP Moderators are identified by the "Mod" icon  next to the Profile ID avatar

• HP agent response times vary widely – this community is not HP Technical Support
  • HP agent response on the community is NOT guaranteed
  • Be aware of scams and thieves that crawl out from under the rocks – READ the warnings

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

One more thing I would try is to test printing on a newly created administrator account, For my experience you would likely see a difference.

Please create a new account as following:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Next, Sign off from your account (be sure to save your work and fully sign out, not to switch users)

From the bottom side pane select the new account and login, it will take several minutes, then try printing.

Can you see any difference?

Now sign out ang login your existing account, then try printing. May you see any difference or other response than before?

Please let us know the exact response on any of the accounts.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Lots of thanks to both of you for trying.  However, none of the solutions worked, so I broke down and let HP take over the computer to get it installed.  It still took him over an hour, and numerous installs and removals to get it working.  I wish I could tell you I paid attention the whole time and know exactly what he did, but I didn't.  Valiant effort on your behalf, though.  Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.