Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tpot34
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New printer and the test print is fine, connected by wireless but still will not print from word

HP DESKJET 3720

I have a new printer and the test print is fine, it is connected by wireless but still will not print my word documents...please help!  My OS is windows 10 I think.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,383 2,202
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New printer and the test print is fine, connected by wireless but still will not print from word

Hi @tpot34,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. 

Going through your post, I understand that the Envy printer is not functioning anymore. I would recommend performing a power drain on the printer to try and fix the issue.  Here are the steps:

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle and then reinsert the cartridges.

Now, try making a copy using the printer control panel and check the results.

If the copy works fine, then the issue is with the print drivers or with the application / document that you are trying to print. Try to perform a clean install and check:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Deskjet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-3700-all-in-one-printer-series/8954253/model/8954254...  Select the Operating system and version of Windows before downloading and installing the updated printer software.
  • Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tpot34
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jeet, thank you so, so much for getting back to me with all these instructions but the problem has slightly changed as I am now able to print if the computer and printer are linked by cable.  BUt when I try to print wirelsessly it does not work!  BUt I can print frmo my phone.  Can you please explain this?  What am I doing wrong?

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again for taking the time to get back to me.

Kind regards

Emma

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,383 2,202
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tpot34,

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad to hear you are able to print when connected using USB, however, having issues with the wireless connection. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

Let’s try assigning a static IP to try and fix this issue. Follow the steps below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Once done, reinstall the printer drivers. Follow the steps below:

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation