Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy 5540 will only print in black and white, even though the Print Quality Diagnostic page prints perfectly. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Lordbeacon,

Good Day! Welcome to the HP support forums. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding issues with printing in color. Excellent description and great diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist with accurate information I would require more information regarding his:

• Did you check the printer settings to change it to the color option?
  • Did you also try to print from different apps like Misword, Excel or Adobe Reader?
  • Did you uninstall the problematic app and reinstall it and check?

For now please try these steps:

Please check the printer driver settings from this link: http://hp.care/2sdO3Zy  and follow the option Color and black & white settings:

If does not work then please uninstall the printer software complete by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2rIgkZ5 and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should fix it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Lordbeacon,

Good Day! Welcome to the HP support forums. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding issues with printing in color. Excellent description and great diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist with accurate information I would require more information regarding his:

• Did you check the printer settings to change it to the color option?
  • Did you also try to print from different apps like Misword, Excel or Adobe Reader?
  • Did you uninstall the problematic app and reinstall it and check?

For now please try these steps:

Please check the printer driver settings from this link: http://hp.care/2sdO3Zy  and follow the option Color and black & white settings:

If does not work then please uninstall the printer software complete by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2rIgkZ5 and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should fix it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
David
Thanks for this
I'm away until Wednesday so will try and implement your suggested solution then
Pete
HP Recommended

Hi @Lordbeacon,

I read the super quick post. You've shown commendable attitude and an amazing spirit coupled with great technical skills to try and resolve it. Kudos to you for a job well done. It is greatly appreciated. 🙂 Please perform the required steps at your convenience.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the printer works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise and exhaustive technical skills. 🙂 It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David

Did exactly what you suggested and it works a treat.

Thanks for the help!

Pete

HP Recommended

@Lordbeacon

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad we could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I thought this was resolved but as soon as I alter anything in the printer properties window (change the paper or print quality) it defaults back to black & white.

This time I got a box that said:

Function address 0x78459e08 caused a protection fault (exception code 0xe06d7363

The application property sheet page (s) may not function properly

Any ideas?

Pete

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.