Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi there.

So no matter what printer dialogue I use - MacOSX, PDF Viewer or HP, whenever I try to print only black and white using the black cartridge it also uses the colour cartridges which is incredibly annoying and unnecessary.

Is there anyway to force the printer to only print using the black cartridge?

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@videopixels, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you'd want to print true black from the printer. This printer is designed to use all the cartridges for printing and if you'd want to adjust the color settings you may have to create color profiles depending on the application you're trying to print from.

Refer to the document HP Printers - Creating Custom ICC Profiles for Color Photos for help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there. I do understand the different printing profiles but the printer does not adhere to that.

Is there anyway to force the printer to only look at and use the black ink cartridge.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@videopixels

On this printer, you cannot restrict the printer to use only the black ink cartridge. 

You can reach out to the HP Support in your region for remote assistance on this issue.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.