Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My OfficeJet 3830 is not printing in color, but rather just grayscale, on any document/file, from any program I use. It also cannot copy a colored photo and print it out in color. Sending print jobs to this printer from other computers also does not print in color. It used to print in color a few months ago, but it just stopped doing so at some point, of which I have no idea why. I did nothing to alter the printer's files or anything.

I have uninstalled all HP-related drivers for this printer today, then reinstalled the printer's drivers through the HP Smart app. I double checked that all drivers/firmware are updated, and there were not updates needed. Even after that, the printer will not print in color.

I also performed the printer check/report prints. I did this by opening the HP Smart app, going to my Printer Settings > Ptiner Reports > Demo Page and Print Quality Report. Both files that were printed had full color and all test was properly aligned, etc.

Thinking that color was back, I tried printing a colored Excel document. But it was grayscale. I tried  various file types with color, but none were printed with color. I also tried scanning the demo page with lots of color, then printing it, all through the HP Smart app. I even changed the setting prior to printing to be in "Color" vs "Graysale" or "Monotone" *just* in case. But still in color. Sending print jobs from other devices also does not print in color. It's like the printer just does not understand how to print in color anymore, which gets frustrating since my Black ink cartridge is running closer and closer to low, while my color ones are still full.

Hope there is some help I can get! Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@kevronicoal, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. I'd suggest you uninstall the existing drivers and try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Additionally, Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I tried those steps, but when discovering my printer through my network, my computer would not find any drivers for the printer and never allowed me to print.

Instead, I just changed my printer to be connected through USB, and let Windows install the driver - similar to the steps you recommended. Afterwards, I am now able to print color again. I am avoiding the "Setup" option that the HP Smart app is wanting me to do, just in case it resets the drivers etc.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@kevronicoal

That's great! Happy to hear that.

You can continue to use the windows drivers.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.