Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm using the OfficeJet 4650 model connected via Wi-Fi to a 64-bit Win10 pro DELL laptop.

I’m not quite sure since when the following issue started occurring but if I go to the “Printer Properties” dialog box, from that point onwards, I cannot print in colour from the PC!!!

It doesn’t matter what I do in the properties dialog-box: I could even just enter and exit without doing anything; as soon as I enter there, from that point on I cannot print colour anymore from the laptop.

It took me two days ad two black-and-white cartridges to find this out!!

Once in that state, the only way to resume and being able to print in colour again is to uninstall and re-install the printer  provided that I don’t go again to the properties dialog-box (going back to a previous Windows restore-point doesn’t do anything)!

Please note that:

• It doesn’t matter how do I reach the “properties” dialog-box, where it is via the Print menu item of a given app or from the Control panel or the HP Scan Doctor.
  • Once this has occurred, no colour printing from the laptop is possible no matter what the application is (including the trial page of the device itself) unless I remove the Printer and reinstall it.
  • I may print in colour however from another device (like my iPad).
  • I have uninstalled e reinstalled the printer drivers many times (from the HP Print and Scan Doctor as well as downloading the .exe from the HP site. Nothing !!).
  • My laptop is up-to-date with all Microsoft updates.

Does anybody have any idea of why this may happen?

Thanks

Dario

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I’ve managed to tackle the problem myself:

If I connect the printer by creating a TCP/IP port instead of a WSD, the problem disappears so I may printer prints in colour even if I access the Printer Properties box.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @DarioM68

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. This seems like an issue with the printer driver.

Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KUMAR0307, Up until I managed to understand that the loss of colour occurred every time I opened the “printer properties” dialog box, I repeated that exact procedure you’ve suggested! So, let’s recap: After installing the drivers following that very same procedure you’ve suggested, the printer prints colour. However, if I go to the “printer properties” dialog box or if I try to print while the printer is off-line, from that moment onward the printer only prints black-and-white (grey scale) no matter what I do. The only way to resume colour is to uninstall and reinstall the printer. So, I’m afraid the suggestion you’ve provided didn’t solve the issue.

HP Recommended

I’ve managed to tackle the problem myself:

If I connect the printer by creating a TCP/IP port instead of a WSD, the problem disappears so I may printer prints in colour even if I access the Printer Properties box.

HP Recommended

@DarioM68, glad to know that you found the solution and the issue is now resolved. Keep us posted for any other assistance.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey - I have this exact same issue. Is there a bug/issue with the printer driver and 64 bit OS on Windows 10?

The only way I can get the colour back is to uninstall and reinstall the printer as there are no options at all to manage the colour in the properties like you would normally have. In fact you need to steer clear of the printer properties when you have reinstalled the printer as that just resets everything back to black printing only - very annoying when you pay for ink with instant ink from HP. I do not have the IT access to change the ports. This seems to only be an issue with Windows PC and HP drivers - can you please release a bug fix? No doubt its an update from MS that has caused this as this is common.

HP Recommended

Why doesnt the printer preferences box provide a colour set option?  This fault needs fixing..its very frustrating, dont want to have to keep re-installing the driver everytime I want to print in colour!!

thanks

HP Recommended

@Biomorphic

I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted

Thank you 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am unable to print in colour to my HP Envy 5450 - I have tried the recommendations from Krazy Toad removing the drivers etc. and reinstalled the printer.  Tested a print page an it came out in colour tried to print from word and still unable to print in colour.  If I down load a document from the web that prints in colour but anything that I create in Microsoft or a pdf doc will nto print in colour

HP Recommended

@SHARON83

Try using HP Smart App and let me know if that works

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.