Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer Series - G510n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is an older 4500 wireless.  I need to enter a '$' thru the keypad.  All the symbols are on the bottom left key but no '$'.  Is this an omission or is it somewhare else?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Matt007

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 4500 Wireless All-in-One Printer - G510n. I read that you need to enter/type the $ symbol and are unable to locate it. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Here is the control panel of your HP printer:

I suggest you to press and hold the * key and it should display additional signs like the $. Otherwise, try to press and hold the # key. One of the keys should give an option to get the $ sign.

Click here to access the detailed user guide.

Hope this helps. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I had already tried this nd it didn't work.  I've tried holding the key down; quick presses; holding two keys down.  I just seems to be an omission.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended
I have checked several times to no avail. I have too many devices connected to change the ssid, so I think I'll buy me a new printer.
HP Recommended

It seems from reading several Support Forum responses from HP 4500 owners that the suggestion that 

HP Support Agent is giving everyone an answer that is as wrong as it could be.
I don't understand why as a HP support agent MKazi does not have a definative answer.
Either hold the (*) key down or you hold ( # ) key down to find the ( $ ) sign.  
In this case since 6 forum responders have said that neither of these options work, that MKazi said then buy another printer that has the $ on the keyboard.  That is B... S... Why didn't HP manufacture this printer so it had ALL the special characters.  I know why, so if we don't want to go through the trouble of changing the passwaord on our routers, and if we want the ( $ ) sign as part of our router password then we all go out a buy another printer.  If we have to do that at least HP could give us a 25% discount on any printer we choose to buy.
OK, I am done preaching to the choir, so to speak.  I got this off of my 74 year old hairy chest.  Lets see if MKazi or some other HP Corp person replies to this post.  Good night.  Bullett65  aka - AL 
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.I'm not sure this will work because i haven't done this printers for some time.If it's got a network port connect it with a cross over cable to the computer and give it a address.Then simply try to see if you can not use the web interface to do the settings on the Printer.Like i say did not try this yet.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
#################################################################
HP Recommended

Holding the * key shows a bunch of special characters but no $.  How do I get a dollar sign $ on the keypad?

AL B,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.