Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp Office Jet 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The printer doesent want to pick up the card stock anymore, and when it finally does, it only prints half of the page and finishes on the next. We have done at least a hundred different card stock projects with out fail. I have read all the suggestion s and I have cleaned off the rolles as you video showed. ow what should we do?
Thanks,

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@theross76

I wish I could offer a for-sure solution.

The Officejet Pro 8710 is the "little brother" in the HP Officejet Pro series.   The printer construction is different from the other printers in this series and the printer supports a more limited number of features.  Nonetheless, Card Paper (Index) is supported to 110# (200 gsm).

Specifications > Paper Handling 

Paper tray capacities

The following table contains the recommended maximum amount of paper to use in each tray.
note:
Output tray capacity is affected by the type of paper and the amount of ink you use. HP recommends that you empty the output tray frequently.
Tray
Type
Weight
Capacity
Tray 1
Paper
60 to 105 g/m2 (16 to 28 lb bond)
Up to 250 sheets of plain paper (25 mm [1 inch] stacked)
Photo paper
300 g/m2 (80 lb bond)
Up to 50 sheets (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Envelopes
75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb bond envelope)
Up to 30 envelopes (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Cards
Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)
Up to 50 cards
Tray 2
note:
Paper Tray 2 is an optional accessory.
Plain paper only
Up to 250 sheets
Duplexer
Paper
n/a
Automatic document feeder (ADF)
Paper
60 to 90 g/m2 (16 to 24 lb bond)
50 sheets
Output tray
Paper
Up to 150 sheets of plain paper (text printing)
Photo paper
250 g/m2 (66 lb bond)
Up to 100 sheets

Envelopes
Up to 30 envelopes
Cards
Up to 80 cards

If you print on card stock on a regular basis, you are likely aware that card paper differs according to the paper stock from which the card paper is made.  Index paper is an ISO standard for paper manufacture - ISO weight standards are included for each of the types of paper (Cover, Bond, Text, Index...)

If the printer has handled the paper in the past, and it meets the weight limitation, then the only thing I can offer is to once again go through the steps to eliminate the jamming.  Maybe a printer reset (step 4)?

Paper Jam Error

You could also try (may not work), switching the Media type (kind of paper) in your print dialog (Printing Preferences) to Brochure Matte.  HP Brochure matte is 180 gsm.   There is really no point in the exercise except to determine if switching the Media type in some way sets the printer so the paper will feed through the rollers.  Do not bother trying this if your card paper exceeds 180 gsm.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Merry Christmas 2018Merry Christmas 2018

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@theross76

I wish I could offer a for-sure solution.

The Officejet Pro 8710 is the "little brother" in the HP Officejet Pro series.   The printer construction is different from the other printers in this series and the printer supports a more limited number of features.  Nonetheless, Card Paper (Index) is supported to 110# (200 gsm).

Paper tray capacities

The following table contains the recommended maximum amount of paper to use in each tray.
note:
Output tray capacity is affected by the type of paper and the amount of ink you use. HP recommends that you empty the output tray frequently.
Tray
Type
Weight
Capacity
Tray 1
Paper
Up to 250 sheets of plain paper (25 mm [1 inch] stacked)
Photo paper
300 g/m2 (80 lb bond)
Up to 50 sheets (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Envelopes
Up to 30 envelopes (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Cards
Up to 50 cards
Tray 2
note:
Paper Tray 2 is an optional accessory.
Plain paper only
Up to 250 sheets
Duplexer
Paper
n/a
Automatic document feeder (ADF)
Paper
60 to 90 g/m2 (16 to 24 lb bond)
50 sheets
Output tray
Paper
Up to 150 sheets of plain paper (text printing)
Photo paper
250 g/m2 (66 lb bond)
Up to 100 sheets

Envelopes
Up to 30 envelopes
Cards
Up to 80 cards

If you print on card stock on a regular basis, you are likely aware that card paper differs according to the paper stock from which the card paper is made.  Index paper is an ISO standard for paper manufacture - ISO weight standards are included for each of the types of paper (Cover, Bond, Text, Index...)

If the printer has handled the paper in the past, and it meets the weight limitation, then the only thing I can offer is to once again go through the steps to eliminate the jamming.  Maybe a printer reset (step 4)?

Paper Jam Error

You could also try (may not work), switching the Media type (kind of paper) in your print dialog (Printing Preferences) to Brochure Matte.  HP Brochure matte is 180 gsm.   There is really no point in the exercise except to determine if switching the Media type in some way sets the printer so the paper will feed through the rollers.  Do not bother trying this if your card paper exceeds 180 gsm.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Merry Christmas 2018Merry Christmas 2018

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

all that. It still does print on regular paper extra well. Kinda sad we have to get another printer being this one still kinda works. When the card stock is supposed to be rolling into the printer, we can hear the rollers inside spinning.

And ideas on what to get for next printer? We do subscribe to the Instank Ink. We use a lot, do a lot of printing. I do like the Instank Ink, saves money and hassell.

Thanks,

Bill

HP Recommended

@theross76

It seems that the printer wants to print on the card stock. 

Cleaning repeatedly is, unfortunately, not likely to work - about three automatic cleanings and a couple of tries to clean the rollers is about the best you can do.

I wish I could advise you fully.

I can offer the following comments and ruminations on the subject...

I have two printers: 

HP Officejet Pro 8630

HP Officejet Pro 8740 (HP loaner)

Both printers perform very well.

Both printers offer support for Instant Ink.

Caveats

• Both printers provide the same "Index" card stock printing specifications as the printer you have now.
  • The HP Officejet Pro 8740, based on the past several months I have had the machine, is a particular favorite.  The printer prints on pretty much anything that I have tried.  It provides some really nice features, the configuration and the management tools are easy to use.
  • Our home network is robust and fully managed (house of geeks).  Both printers are connected via Ethernet.  Most equipment is connected to larger battery backup and all equipment is protected against power drops/surges.

Important to note: 

• I don't put anything into either printer that is not to specification.
  • The 8740 will print on the "white and plain" 6x9 inch envelope and the slightly heavier "tan" colored 6x9 envelope.  Although this is hardly a test of endurance, the fact that the printer prints on one envelope after another of this type and size is proof (to me) that the printer can handle a bit of stress.  (The 8630 also prints on the 6x9 inch envelope; this is less important since the model is discontinued.)
  • I cannot speak to the durability of the 8740.  Our loan period is for one year.  I have had the printer for about eight months.  It has suffered one paper jam (due to paper having been slightly squished for having the guide bars too snug - user error), the ADF has had to be cleaned once (and is due again), and the Scan via ADF (and glass) provides the best results at no less than 300 ppi (dpi).

The problem, if there is one, is that every printer is different.  The highest grade Officejet models provide some outstanding features (8740 provides single-pass-duplex scan, for example).  Most mid-grade and higher Officejet printers provide the same "Index" card paper 200gsm/110lb specification.

Higher grade Laser printers use toner and heat processing, print at lightening speeds, and may - or may not - support heavy card stock.

In general, I can only offer what I would do:

• Consider nothing less than the best printer (regardless of brand) that you can afford.
  • Look at the features - consider carefully what the printer can do:  Read the Specifications, at least look at the User Guide.  If the website / store provides it, use the "Compare Models" chart.
  • Search on the 'net for the PDF file "Printer Model Datasheet"  (Example - search for: HP Officejet Pro 8740 datasheet).
  • Purchase the printer from a reputable company that provides a decent return / exchange policy.  (I only purchase HP tech from the HP store - this is a personal choice.  Decent policies and a clear line of ownership.  Of course, I purchase new cars from the Model Dealership, too.  There is a pattern here.  Smiling.)
  • Consumer grade printers, including the higher grade Officejet Pro models, are meant primarily for home / small business use.  When you read the datasheet, look for the information on Duty Cycle.  Note the difference between the best that can be expected and the recommended cycle.  If the printer is going to be pushed much past the mid-range "recommended" cycle on a regular basis, consider a different printer for long term use. 

Example - Officejet Pro 8740

Monthly duty cycle: Up to 30,000 pages

Print speed, black (ISO, laser comparable):  Up to 24 ppm

Recommended monthly page volume:  250 to 2000

• Printers, regardless of brand, may offered extended warranties.  Consumer magazines and other highly regarded institutions all recommend avoiding "extended warranties".  Consider the actual cost of the contract (so much a month) as compared to the cost of device replacement (should the unit fail), the hassle of replacement, the desire to replace "aged" equipment (maybe a year is enough time to tire of the current tech).  ??  Personally, I purchase HP CarePack on all my expensive business class computers and consider printers as "maybe" candidates.  I do not run a home business.

Happy New Year!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Read the specs on the 8740. Sounds like a good printer. Might go with that one being your happy with it. The printer we have now was recomonded to me by the HP guy. I do believe it's a cheaper one that they had too many of and need to pass them on?

We do a lot of 2-sided printing. I notice the printer doesen't come with a 2 sidded document feeder. Something we would nbeed to do 2 sides?

And do you know if it will do a half sheety size envelope?

THANKS.

HP Recommended

@theross76

Printing provides for automatic duplex on supported Media (kind of paper) and supported Paper Sizes.

• Paper tray capacities
  • Supported paper sizes > HP Officejet Pro 8730, 8740, 8745 printers
  • Supported cards (no difference between models for this category).   Note that no card stock in the ADF...
To avoid paper jams and other issues, make sure you are using the correct size and type of cards when loading the input tray.
note:
Load card stock in Tray 1 only. Card stock is not compatible for use with the ADF for single- or double-sided printing.

Paper type
Paper size
Tray 1
Index card
76 x 127 mm (3.0 x 5.0 inches)
Index card
101 x 152 mm (4.0 x 6.0 inches)
Index card
127 x 203 mm (5.0 x 8.0 inches)
A6 card
105 x 148 mm (4.1 x 5.8 inches)
Borderless A6
105 x 148 mm (4.1 x 5.8 inches)
A4 index card
210 x 297 mm (8.3 x 11.7 inches)
O**bleep**u Hagaki**
200 x 148 mm (7.8 x 5.8 inches)
Index Card Letter
216 x 279 mm (8.5 x 11 inches)

• Supported custom sizes
To avoid paper jams and other issues when printing on nonstandard custom paper sizes, make sure the dimensions fall within the parameters listed in the following table.
Paper size
Tray 1
ADF
76 to 216 mm (3.0 to 8.5 inches) wide and 127 to 356 mm (5.0 to 14.0 inches) long

127 to 216 mm (5.0 to 8.5 inches) wide and 241 to 305 mm (9.5 to 12.0 inches) long

I have been able to create a custom paper / envelope form (and print custom sized paper / cards / envelopes) in a variety of sizes,   As long as the paper / envelope is not outside of the minimum / maximum range, "all good".

Envelopes:

No embossed, No ragged (shred edge flaps),  No dark colors, no "shiny" surfaces, or other oddities.

What does work:  Most standard paper envelopes that meet paper weight, size, requirements.

Examples

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_6x9_1Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_6x9_1 

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_A9_2Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_A9_2Printing_Preferences_Quality-Paper_Custom_1Printing_Preferences_Quality-Paper_Custom_1
Printing / Scanning / Duplex
For supported paper type (media) and paper sizes, "single-pass two-sided scanning".

Not sure about two-sided document feeder.  The 8740 printer scans both sides in a single pass.  The single pass scanning is done on the printer glass - as I recall, it doesn't matter how the paper travels to the glass.  (Seems to work as expected - I will retest in the morning when the racket won't wake the sleeping multitudes - our home office is very close to the sleeping quarters.)

From the store website:
8740_Single_Pass_Scanning8740_Single_Pass_Scanning

Duplex Printing appears to be a "partial" dual pass operation, fairly fast.  The first time you run a duplex print, it is a bit spooky when the printer "stops" for several seconds while it gets ready for the second (back side) page.   Smiling.

I am not at all trying to sell you this printer.  What little I know about it is based on my limited experience.  I don't work for HP and I certainly cannot represent HP Sales.  

If you are interested, I recommend you contact the Store (at least in the USA, the phone number is at the top of the website) - talk to a representative, ask questions.  If you don't get the information you need / expect, get back to us and I will ask that someone perhaps take a look.  (We have limited means of forwarding requests.)

Looks like the price is pretty good right now - savings enough to easily pay for a three year Care Pack.

Good Heavens, I do sound like a Sales Person.  

Good Grief.  Smiling.

Fun Stuff - Officejet Pro 8620 and Officejet Pro 8740...

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Labels_Business-Cards_Cards

Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklet

Topics / Subjects, various, including:

• Preparation
  • Labels, Cards, and Business Cards
    • Office Word
    • HP Photo Creations and Avery Templates
    • Avery Design and Print (through Windows 10) and Mac
      • Print from PDF feature
    • Avery Wizard for Word (through Windows 😎
  • Printing and Printing Preferences – Notes
  • Print Booklet
    • Foxit Reader - Booklet
    • Adobe Reader - Booklet
  • Print on Inside of Greeting Card - Test
  • Additional Help (Documents and Notes)

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

THANKS Dragon-Fur.
Got it to pick up the card stock doins as outlined here. Still thinking of getting the 8740. Looks like a cool printer.
And it takes the same ink cartlegs that the one we have now, and were on the instant ink thing, works well for us.
THANKS again,

Bill

HP Recommended

@theross76

Bill,

Welcome to 2019!

You are welcome, of course.

Commentary - Idle ramblings on the subject of a new printer

The 8700 series has been around for a little while now. 

Will there soon be a new printer to replace the 8740??

HP does not divulge their plans to those of us who are not employees - please do not read anything into my mutterings.

I am having this internal discussion as it is near time to relinquish the 8740. 

I like my older 8630.   Very nice printer.  Dependable, nice features.  Great for its time.

I admit to being spoiled and must decide what to do: replace the 8740 or wait. 

I love new tech.

I very much like this 8740 printer.

Arrgh.

Smiling.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.